Original Diablo Dev Lukewarm on Diablo 3 Look

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
What was boring and repetive to me was all the gritty-dark and then it get's night time! That, and you never had enough room to store all your crap. But, the color was the same all over the place in both D1 and D2, black/brown/red. What? You want more highly detailed black/brown/red? To me, gameplay first, then atmosphere which includes sounds, music, color, lightening or lack of lighting all being in the right places at the right times. I think you would be doing a disservice to yourself, to not give it a chance or at least wait for a demo. Just my opinion...

Yeah, this same issue happened to Quake after Quake 1. It went from dark evil and gothic to alien cyborg BS. Diablo 1 and 2 definitely has a more relistic look. To be honest I would really like to see Diablo 3 look at least a little less colorful. BUT! on the other hand if no changes are made I won't really care and I'll still play it. WHY? Because it's the gameplay that makes the game not graphics.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]rocket_sauce[/nom]What was boring and repetive to me was all the gritty-dark and then it get's night time! That, and you never had enough room to store all your crap. But, the color was the same all over the place in both D1 and D2, black/brown/red. What? You want more highly detailed black/brown/red? To me, gameplay first, then atmosphere which includes sounds, music, color, lightening or lack of lighting all being in the right places at the right times. I think you would be doing a disservice to yourself, to not give it a chance or at least wait for a demo. Just my opinion...[/citation]

I'll sure try it anyway, the gameplay looks so promising, nobody can argue with that.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'll be playing the demo for sure. I did enjoy the darkness in D1 and the music. Heavy distorted guitar in hell, classical picking in town. Personally I like variety, so I'd like to see really dark caves, partially lit dungeons, overcast cloudy areas and blindingly bright deserts. Along with my other standard wishes for multiplayer games (MODS, 16+ players and bots, [a non mmo mode / lan servers] with a multitude of settings, gravity, AI, drop frequency etc.)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]jamesl[/nom]they look nothing like WOW, and if you've paid attention then you would know they've built a new engine for D3[/citation]
Deep breaths brother... everything is going to be OK.

ghidoran

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
It's too early to say. I'm sure later areas will be darker, the ones we've seen are in the beginning, and are there to give it contrast and variety.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Oh, another opinion of mine about Hellgate. Put it in isometric view mouse-only mouvements and attacks(no awsd or arrows, same as Diablos basicly), strip away that junk that is 'DX10' (for now that is) for hopefully better performance and stability and you got yourself a pretty cool game. Skills system is'nt top notch but still cool, same goes some items. Artly speaking I really loved that game. A mod that does just that would be cool. Roper should do just that with his next game if he does'nt want to go bankrupt and grab back respect from Diablo fans: An isometric 3D Action-RPG with Hellish theme, everything he can put in that does'nt touch to the now Blizzard-owned Diablo franchise. Something which looks pretty neat, without going into the extreme in technology, so the damn thing can be stable, and so he can consentrate his team's work on the gameplay. Something similar to Titan Quest technologicaly speaking with some more bell and whistles. Damn, even TQ have more advanced 3D tech (PhysX put aside) if you compare it to what Diablo 3 looks like. And no, they won't change any of it, all they can change is textures to something more detailed (Doing that would already improve it in my view by 75%). Don't count on them to change the poor modeling. Just my 2 cents..

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
May I take the liberty to remind you that Diablo 2 has a 256 color palette, and the gritty and desaturated look is mostly because the designers had to put up with a limited color palette. As much as I don't like the "Warcraftification" of most recent Blizzard products, I have to admit that I've stayed for hours peeking in the D3 website, downloading concept art and watching every movie a copule of times. What I'd like though, is that Blizzard FIRE every one of their animators, and hire some people that didn't study animation in a ballet school

ackthbbft

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Look, it's not as if Diablo is hiring fluffy bunnies for minions, or attacking people with flowers, hoping they'll submit to him over bouts of hayfever.

From what I saw at BlizzCon, the theme and feel were intact. Brighter graphics does not negate the "dark" setting, IMO.

Kenshin112

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]ackthbbft[/nom]Look, it's not as if Diablo is hiring fluffy bunnies for minions, or attacking people with flowers, hoping they'll submit to him over bouts of hayfever.From what I saw at BlizzCon, the theme and feel were intact. Brighter graphics does not negate the "dark" setting, IMO.[/citation]
Brighter graphics are great, when used in moderation. For example, in cinematics, spell effects, and *certain* locations. It's the lack of Gothic environment that gets me. Just think, every time you get out of a dungeon you're going to have to squint your eyes at the bright visuals. Personally, I didn't care at first... That was until I actually visited the Diablo 3 website and looked at ALL of the art. I was mortified. It's like "World of Diablo" rather than Diablo 3. Oh yeah, this is kind of selfish but they should add something totally unrelated to the game such as an optional cinematic that includes incredibly intense scenes of violence, gore, sex, nudity, and language. Reason? I'm damn tired of running into ignorant and arrogant 12 year old kids that play M rated games. If they did something like this, parents would hopefully get a little more concerned when the title said "Adults Only" and the sales clerk told the mom/dad that it was illegal for their child to play it.
/rant

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I personally am only intrigued about the new style. It's still a new game, there is still a long way to go before we can judge the game. I have always loved Blizzard games (minus WoW cause I just don't get into MMO's) so how can I judge them when I've only seen a fraction of the game.

Besides EVERYONE knows that within a month of the release someone is going to have a mod that will change the colors anyway.... Why don't fanboys just SHUT UP

ghidoran

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Kenshin112[/nom]Brighter graphics are great, when used in moderation. For example, in cinematics, spell effects, and *certain* locations. It's the lack of Gothic environment that gets me. Just think, every time you get out of a dungeon you're going to have to squint your eyes at the bright visuals. Personally, I didn't care at first... That was until I actually visited the Diablo 3 website and looked at ALL of the art. I was mortified. It's like "World of Diablo" rather than Diablo 3. Oh yeah, this is kind of selfish but they should add something totally unrelated to the game such as an optional cinematic that includes incredibly intense scenes of violence, gore, sex, nudity, and language. Reason? I'm damn tired of running into ignorant and arrogant 12 year old kids that play M rated games. If they did something like this, parents would hopefully get a little more concerned when the title said "Adults Only" and the sales clerk told the mom/dad that it was illegal for their child to play it./rant[/citation]

It's not gonna have vibrant landscapes everywhere. Like I said it's there to show contrast from the beginning of the game to the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.