Origin's PC/Xbox 360 Would Give You ''The Big O''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I could buy a PC, XBOX, PS3, 3 TV's and all the accessories for less than what they are asking and actually be able to use all three at the same time.. I mean really? 8-17K and you cant even use the PC and the XBOX at the same time? what a ripoff. not to mention the added expense on your power bill is probably equal to the monthly payment :)

aliened

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
7k?! lol... I think they will have to do some price adjustments if the intend to sell this thing, those futures in a PC plus a 360 are worth no more than 3.5k =/ very nice rig but very bad price.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
The price is actually okay for what it is, but for gaming, what it is is just an awful value. People who would use dual hexacore xeons for gaming make me lol. The case is ugly and I think it looks cheap. For 17k, I'd expect something that looks a hell of a lot nicer than that with more discreet branding and matching color scheme. Some rich boys will buy this because of the price.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Pass, I think I can walk my ass over to the consoles in my living room if I need a break from the PC which has better specs at half the price.[/citation]
You have a $100-150 PC?? Let me guess, single core CPU, integrated graphics, no optical drives, pirated copy of Windows, and you are using a shoebox for the case. Man that is one stellar machine! :p

rohitbaran

Distinguished
For the top of the line configuration, you're going to need $17,000 at the ready to take one home. Thankfully, Origin offers free shipping.
Ghosh! I am better off with the PC and the console separate, considering that one can have that config for $5000-6000 and add $ 200 for the Xbox console.

zamn10210

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]You have a $100-150 PC?? Let me guess, single core CPU, integrated graphics, no optical drives, pirated copy of Windows, and you are using a shoebox for the case. Man that is one stellar machine![/citation]

Half the price of this $8000 dollar monstrosity, smartass.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
If they were trying to allow the most variety in gaming, they should have used the PC/PS3 combination, seeing as how there are less Xbox 360 exclusives than PS3. Overall concept is useless though, I would rather purchase Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii all together and build a gaming computer with the leftover price and still have way too many great games than I have time for.

G

reminds me of a pc mod that was done on techtv when it was still techtv (g4tv for you guys now) they modded a pc case with a top of the line pc (at the time) atari, nintendo, super nintendo, ps2, xbox and gamecube all in the same pc case a picture can be found here http://yoshi.us/forums/showthread.php?t=5

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Ok skook and baby.. Going by your numbers you're saving 7g and that's not worth it? And who needs dual xeons really come on.. Specially when this is geared towards gamers.

I'm building a bad ass tower for a friend.. 2400$, lets just say 3g if he wants it water cooled.. Add in an xbox depending on what one lets just say 300$.. That's a hell of a lot cheaper, then their 7k. Which I promise no gamer would notice the difference. While playing games.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
yeah i say the same. if you build a f1 car then strap on a old broken buss for a bit more confort dont make eny sens for me. if you like hig tech pc you dont whont to log on to a pice of shit 360 so bad grapics it hurts your eyes. and btw if that xbox goes in to the ring of death its realy gonna be fun for the owner and whit a hig possebility that the 360 do it, its also gonna be a ticking time bomb, no thx.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
+10 to Ogdin
I wish i had $2K to spend on a machine let alone $7k+.
In a world were money is nothing, but in reality it is everything.

Wiseman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]My thoughts exactly, before spouting off about how cheap you home built system is, look at the parts that are going into that $17k machine.....I am glad you did the research because I was going to if no one else did. People also need to realize that well their $1500 pc can game decently, this machine will NEVER have an issue with ANY game on the market today. It will also run any production application very well.No need to get mad at the company or the article guys, they are not saying you have to buy it.[/citation]

I have done my homework as I am studying 3D Animation using 3D Studio Max, Maya and so on. I agree 100% that most of the comments here are ignorant. This is a workstation based gaming machine, so 3 times more expensive eg.

1 x Xeon Processor X5680: $1663 normally you buy 2 of them so $3326.
1 x Core i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition: $999

4 x EVGA’s GeForce GTX 480 FTW graphics cards: $1,900
1 x NVIDIA Quadro 6000 Professional Graphics Card: $5,000
1 x Quadro Plex 7000: $14,500

"From the hottest games on the market to digital video editing and 3D rendering you will have the power to perform at every level."

None of your crappy $3000 or under, Extreme Gaming machines could handle the digital video editing and 3D rendering tasks the Big O could. Gamers are so clueless about any other machines that don't play only games.

You could play any game out there with ease.

You can do digital video editing and 3D rendering, although not as well as using a Quadro 6000 card which renders nearly 50 times faster on a multi-threaded 64bit rendering job, but the Big O would crap on a normal gaming machine that's if the gaming machine could make it though one job without crashing while trying to do 3D rendering.

Then switch to the Xbox 360 that doesn't use the four EVGA’s GeForce GTX 480 FTW graphics cards which some seem to think, it uses it's own ATI graphics. They don't claim to increase the performance of the Xbox 360, although water cooling it would help some.

It's a very good attempt at trying to give a hardcore PC/Console gamer who likes to have a go at some digital video editing and 3D rendering a single multi platform system to work from, but not really appropriate for a serious 3D Animator who likes to play the odd PC/Console game, yet would still pay the same price for a machine to do the job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.