[SOLVED] OS and SSD setup issues

Aug 9, 2021
I just built my first PC, and I'm having some difficulty getting it set up. I would greatly appreciate some help, especially if anyone is familiar with the Aorus BIOS. I've tried posting this question just about everywhere I could online all week, and what few responses I've been getting have been less than helpful.

I have 4 SSDs in my build (2 M.2 & 2 Sata). I'm trying to set it up so that the OS is stored in and boots from the dedicated 250GB M.2, with the 2 2TB Satas in a RAID 0 array for general storage and gaming, and the 2TB M.2 for important stuff. I tried to set it up myself, but the OS only boots from UEFI, won't boot from the drive it's installed on, and only recognizes the single 250GB drive for storage (the BIOS recognizes the other drives, just not the OS). Also the BIOS won't let me set up RAID, despite me following the mobo's user manual to the letter.

Relevant parts:
  • Aorus Xtreme Motherboard (BIOS is up-to-date)
  • 2TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata x2
  • 250GB Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2
  • 2TB Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM disc

Solution
That might be a problem. The way I had this system planned was so that the boot drive contained the OS and nothing else, while the programs and files installed on/saved to a separate drive. That's why the boot drive is only 250GB. Is this setup not possible?
Applications can be installed anywhere. They do NOT have to exist in the "Program Files" folders.
Those are just the default locations.
No need to "move" those folders.

But, the application needs to be installed to its proper location when it is installed.
And some few applications do not allow installation elsewhere.

Also, having applications live on an HDD negates a lot of the purpose of having the SSD.
You are also interacting with applications, which would benefit...

USAFRet

Titan
First off, have ONLY that one drive connected during the install.
Other drives get connected after the OS is up and running.

RAID 0 with 2x 870 QVO? Why on earth would you do that?

Aug 9, 2021
First off, have ONLY that one drive connected during the install.
Other drives get connected after the OS is up and running.
Unfortunately, the OS is already installed. Since I still have the OEM disc and product key, can I do a complete uninstall and reinstall?

RAID 0 with 2x 870 QVO? Why on earth would you do that?
Convenience, mostly. I prefer saving everything to a single volume rather than splitting between multiples, and I'd prefer striping the data, since spanning it would render one of the drives completely useless until the other is full. Plus, the mobo only supports RAID 0, 1, and 10. I'm aware of the "RAID 0 doubles your drive's failure rate" argument, but given the already ludicrously low failure rate of these drives, I'm not particularly worried. Besides, I'm putting all of the important work-related files on the 2TB M.2, and I'm planning on getting a decent backup once my budget allows for it.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, do a full reinstall, with only the one desired drive connected.

Also, show us a screencap of the Disk Management window.

Aug 9, 2021
The OS still doesn't recognize the other drives. It also now has a "System Reserved" drive that I think is listed as my disc reader.
p.jpeg

They're showing up in the device manager, but how do I format them and allocate them as storage space?
p.jpeg

Last edited:
  1. Delete partition E:
  2. Initialize uninitialized drives - Disk 0 and Disk 3 (GPT or MBR - it doesn't matter here, GPT is newer )
  3. Create single large partition on each of drives Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 3 and format/assign drive letters

You may want to leave some space on SSDs unallocated. It's recommended to have ~10% - 15%) unallocated space for wear leveling and performance considerations.

Aug 9, 2021
Okay, since people have been fairly opinionated on my decision to use RAID 0, I do have another question. Would it be better to create a RAID 0 array from my BIOS, or to allocate them as a striped volume in Windows?

Aug 9, 2021
Forget about RAID 0 on SSDs. Not worth it.
Again, this is something I want to do for the sake of convenience and organization. I don't care about speed boosts or the negligible failure rate increase, I just want them to act as a single volume and I'd rather not span them and have one of the SSDs taking up space and wasting electricity until the other is full. So would it be better to set it up through BIOS, or through Windows Disk management?

So would it be better to set it up through BIOS, or through Windows Disk management?
Windows raid is more convenient. For example if your motherboard dies, it's easy to recover raid after you move drives to a different system. With BIOS raid you may have trouble recovering your data.

But again - raid 0 on SSDs makes zero sense. Raid 1 would make sense - for redundancy, but not raid 0.