OS Freezing Randomly

Worfs

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
I looked all over the internet but cannot find a solution

I am playing on my computer when my OS freezes. I can still move my mouse and click on stuff but nothing happens for ~ 60 seconds then whatever mouse clicks/keyboard strokes I press happen all at once. I have no idea what could be causing this because it's so random and I'm never looking at Windows Task Manager when it happens. I don't even think that would help because it would probably freeze up, too.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 64 Bit

Solution
You can always run a memtest on your RAM. I would also uninstall your video drivers. Sometimes when windows detects a problem it will restart your video drivers. When they return it may just be taking all your input. I would stop clicking around when it starts to freeze because the system does not need extra inputs while it is trying to fix a problem.
1) In command prompt: sfc /scannow
2) Check your temperature, and temp of your vid card. Crack your case open while on and confirm fans are all running (and pointing the right direction)
3) Input windows disk and select repair option

Scott
Think back on when this started, did anything get added, installed, uninstalled before the issue started?
See if going back in time to a restore point before the issue helps.

Also do a virus and spyware scan, Malwarebytes is good to use, and booting off a rescue CD you can make from an anti-virus software vendor is a good idea. AVG and Avira both have free disks you can make.

Worfs

Distinguished
May 31, 2015

I can't remember when this started exactly, I haven't added anything to my system in a while. The newest thing in my PC is a hard drive I switched to 5 months ago. Is it possible that my memory stick is getting too old, I've been using it for 4 years and that's the oldest part of my pc. Also I forgot to post that when my OS freezes, some audio keeps going but other stuff stops. Like if I'm using YouTube the video freezes but I can hear it going still but when I'm using VLC media player it both audio and video freeze seconds before the OS stops responding. I've also used Malwarebytes and Spybot and came up with nothing, but I've heard I should rerun those scans while in safe mode.

sconnary32

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
You can always run a memtest on your RAM. I would also uninstall your video drivers. Sometimes when windows detects a problem it will restart your video drivers. When they return it may just be taking all your input. I would stop clicking around when it starts to freeze because the system does not need extra inputs while it is trying to fix a problem.
1) In command prompt: sfc /scannow
2) Check your temperature, and temp of your vid card. Crack your case open while on and confirm fans are all running (and pointing the right direction)
3) Input windows disk and select repair option

Scott

Solution

Worfs

Distinguished
May 31, 2015

I think the "sfc /scannow" thing fixed it, thanks :D. I wasn't there when it finished and I guess my PC reset itself so I didn't see any results. Hopefully it does not come back.

Worfs

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
Ok it seems I chose "Best solution" a bit too early :( it's still freezing but maybe it has something do with my CPU? when it was frozen it dropped from 40-50% cpu usage to about 0-4%

I just realized that my 2nd monitor is actually the most recent change that I've done, maybe I'll disconnect that and see what happens

I've seen issues when using dual screens with a game caused issues.