OS installed to SSD. How to store games in HDD?

Indestructiball

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I have installed Windows 8.1 to SSD but i want to install games to my HDD. Both of them seem to be in local disk C. Is there an easy way to separate them. What am I missing? Shouldn't I just be able to select HDD when installing?

Solution
Your SSD and HDD cannot have the same drive letter;
If you do not see an extra hard drive (likely named "D:") then your HDD may not be connected properly.

you have an overview of your drives in diskmgmt.msc

Perhaps your HDD is connected but not initialised, in which case it can also be done in diskmgmt.msc

Once your HDD is installed and initialised and formatted properly, it will have its own drive letter which you will be able to select from any game installer.

chenw

Honorable
You should be able to, you will usually have to do custom install options.

If it is steam, go to View -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders

Add the folder you want Steam to download to, and done. Everytime you download a game it will prompt you for the location

Sep 10, 2013
Your SSD and HDD cannot have the same drive letter;
If you do not see an extra hard drive (likely named "D:") then your HDD may not be connected properly.

you have an overview of your drives in diskmgmt.msc

Perhaps your HDD is connected but not initialised, in which case it can also be done in diskmgmt.msc

Once your HDD is installed and initialised and formatted properly, it will have its own drive letter which you will be able to select from any game installer.

Solution

Indestructiball

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

I see the HDD in device manager under disk drives alongside my SSD. Also, when i select local disk drive C > properties > hardware, I see my HDD there.

Indestructiball

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

I see my HDD in device manager. I also see it in Local disk drive C > properties > hardware.