Question OS migration from Asus to Dell

cwdavi1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2020
I have an SSD from an Asus desktop that I want to use in a Dell PC. I don't want to reinstall anything, I want to boot from it then update drivers. When I try that it won't boot and automatic repair fails. Looks like Asus has their own boot software and it won't work on a non Asus PC. I've tried fixboot, etc. but can't get anywhere. I can get to the Asus boot manager on the ssd but when I try to run it I get you don't have permission ...

I know that the best way is to wipe the ssd and reinstall everything but I have some legacy software on the ssd that can't be reinstalled. Is there anyway to do this?

Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
What you seek to do is unlikely to work.
Moving an OS between systems is something we'd all like to 'just work', but it does not.

What specific 'legacy software' are you using, that cannot be reinstalled?
Future thoughts....what if your drive were to die suddenly, and you HAD to reinstall?

cwdavi1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2020
The legacy software is Adobe CS6. I bought it in Bangkok from an Apple store and registered it with Adobe. Now Adobe has invalidated the license. First they said I bought it from an unauthorized seller, then when I said I could get proof that the seller was authorized they said the license was for East Asia and I couldn't use it in the US. When I reinstall it license validation fails.

CS6 is old but that version of photoshop does all that I need and I'm familiar with it plus 2 or 3 times I used CS6 Acrobat Pro. The rest of CS6 I couldn't care less about.

I'm a retired software engineer, most of my work was on Unix systems so I don't know the windows internals to do this. I was just asking for pointers. This would be a snap if Asus hadn't implemented their own boot process.

And if a disk dies I have system images. They just won't work on non Asus machines.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
The legacy software is Adobe CS6. I bought it in Bangkok from an Apple store and registered it with Adobe. Now Adobe has invalidated the license. First they said I bought it from an unauthorized seller, then when I said I could get proof that the seller was authorized they said the license was for East Asia and I couldn't use it in the US. When I reinstall it license validation fails.
Licences prior to subscription were draconian; platform locked and region locked. If you have access to a VPN service then give installation/activation a go whilst pretending to be in SE Asia.

Also if someone had somehow copied your serial number and published it then Adobe will flag it as pirated. https://community.adobe.com/t5/down...adobe-customer-service-complain/td-p/10584431

I have a suspicion that even if you managed to get the drive swap working (however unlikely) that CS6 will recognise the hardware change and attempt a reactivation.