Question OS on 2TB 16Gb Optane or swap OS to SSD and extra queries

Dec 5, 2019
Hi, this is my first post in the forums. While I have tried searching I can't find a specific answer to my query.

I've just purchased a new desktop, a Lenovo 510-15IKL.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/500-series/510-15ikl

It came with a 2TB HDD with 16Gb Optane. I like to keep my OS separate from all my personal data/files. Basically my question is, should I migrate the OS over to an SSD? On my last PC, I had the OS migrate over to an SSD and it was excellent, the PC was purchased some years ago. The difference now I am having is Optane introduced into the equation. Going deeper into that question sounds like this......

My 16Gb Optane 2TB HDD Crystal Disk sequential read speeds are 800/900MB/s & write speeds are approx 150MB/s

The SSD I have is a PNY CS900 240Gb SATA III with quoted speeds of - read 535MB/s write 500MB/s
https://www.pny.com/ssd-cs900?sku=S...T_NAV_ID=b83c9ac0-e251-454c-b078-3bbd37ce1ff5

Would I see any noticeable difference migrating the OS over to the SSD given the drop in read speed but rise in write speed, does the PC do more reading or writing of the OS and if it does more reading, would I see a big drop in system speed?

I'm not a heavy user, to be honest, but I'd just like to get the best out of my system as you're only as good as your weakest link.

I'm prepared to take a slight hit in OS speed performance if it means my data is on a separate drive because I'll take an improved performance accessing my data through Optane.

One other thing, if I migrated the OS over to SSD, does Optane stay linked to the HDD or does that need telling what to do?

Well done if you've read this far and thank you so much if you are prepared to help me answer these questions as I'm a little out my depth here and finding it quite difficult scouring the web to collate all the different answers to my questions.

n00b :??:

Lutfij

Titan
No need to migrate. Backup all critical data onto a portable storage device then reinstall the OS onto the standalone SSD. In that event, you have the PNY SSD as the primary/boot drive while the 2TB HDD acts as your storage drive.

Dec 5, 2019
No need to migrate. Backup all critical data onto a portable storage device then reinstall the OS onto the standalone SSD. In that event, you have the PNY SSD as the primary/boot drive while the 2TB HDD acts as your storage drive.

Thanks for your quick reply. However, I don't have any discs for the OS so I can only migrate, I think.

Dec 5, 2019

Thanks for your help. I've read down that page you shared. I'm now asking myself about licenses. Don't feel that page answers the questions I now find myself asking. Think I've bitten off more than I can chew here :( Just wanted to have my OS and data on separate drives and not have the OS sitting on a huge 2TB HDD itself. Seemed so much easier when I migrated my OS to an SSD on my last PC