OS partition to SSD?

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I look up many ways and even already created a thread on how to move my OS to my SSD but it seems like a failure everytime I attempt at moving my OS to my new SSD. people are using vocab that makes no sense like talking about running linux and all that, but I honestly believe there is an easier way to do it. Please walk me through this like a baby.
Edit 1: I'm using acronis 2015 btw

What I would do is I would get a program called AOMEI Backupper Standard, and create a backup of the OS drive to an image file, then use that image to resize the partitions to the size of the SSD (leaving System Reserved and any unnamed partitions their original sizes) via the Restore tab which will clone the image to the SSD. There should also be a button near the bottom that says "align to SSD" or something like that, you'll want to check that when using the Restore function. Also, you'll need to clone the entire drive, not just the OS partition.

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Is there some sort of video I can use as reference?

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Do i save the disk backup to my SSD, btw my SSD is smaller than my HDD will it still work?
My HDD is 2tb and my ssd is 120 gb

And what is the problem with using Acronis?
Steps are quite simple:
1. You copy bootloader and windows partitions over to SSD.
2. Make bootloader partition active.
3. Temporarily disconnect other drives leaving only SSD.
4. Boot from windows installation media
5. Fix bootloader (bootrec /rebuildbcd)
6. Boot from SSD and fix drive letters.
7. Reconnect Other drives and you are done.

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

If I clone the disk wouldn't that clone the entire disk? I just want to move my OS

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

I'm extremely sorry but I seriously a newb in this sector of computers and don't really know what that means, I can't interpret what that means

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

This'll make my boot time faster?

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

i'm AOMEI right now and I went on disk backup do I back up the entire 2 tb to the 130gb SSD?
I also see clone partitions do I choose that or disk backup?
Edit : I have my HDD formatted as a GPT and my SSD is MBR will this cause a problem?

If HDD you're booting from is GPT, then you have to make SSD into GPT also.
You can do that in Disk Management (SSD must be empty for that conversion to be available - not contain any partitions).

Use clone partitions in Aomei. You will not be able to use Clone disk since SSD is smaller than HDD.

Fredo:
You have a problem. Ordinarily the disk-cloning (data-migration) operation is practicable when the TOTAL DATA CONTENTS OF THE SOURCE DISK, i.e, in your case the 1 TB GB drive, is LESS than the TOTAL DISK-SPACE CAPACITY OF THE DESTINATION DISK, i.e,, in your case the 120 GB SSD. Obviously that is not the case in your situation.

Now...if your OS was contained on a separate partition (the C:\ partition) of your 1 TB HDD and the total data contents contained in that C:\ partition was less than 120 GB, then the disk-cloning operation would be feasible. On the other hand if the OS is lumped together with all the other data on that 1 TB HDD, e.g., your programs, personal data, etc., etc., then the d-c operation is not practicable. Do you see that?

Now there are some d-c programs that purport to clone only the OS from the source disk to the destination disk given the situation mentioned above. We have never found any of them reliable.

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

So I shouldn't attempt the migration?
Edit 1: Is there someway to move the OS into it's own partition so I don't copy other data like photos, music etc..and have those in another partition?

You must shrink windows partition as much as you can.
After that create a new partition in freed up space.
Move all your data (music, videos, installs, documents, pictures, downloads, etc.) to new partition.
Disable hibernation, if it is enabled (from elevated command prompt run: powercfg -h off).
You may need to move games also and uninstall unnecessary software.
Goal is to make used space in windows partition smaller than your SSD.

After that you can proceed with cloning.
You will need to clone EFI system partition and Windows partition over to SSD.

Fredo_

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

I shrank my partition and it created a new one and I tried moving my downloads folder to the new partition but like 30 Gbs of data were lost and the download folder disappeared and im freaking out help

Edit 1: it asked if i wanted to move all files, at that point I was going to stop and cancel what I was doing and unknowingly clicked no, is all my data still in the other partition?