OS Xbox Pro Mod: Four HDDs, Windows 7, OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Pretty cool, but haven't you heard Steve Jobs? Installing Mac OS on non-Apple hardware will precipitate the end of days.

G

All that just to make a computer look like an XBox? Big deal.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
$1500 for a machine that amounts to a $4500 Mac Pro? Really? How can a Core 2 Quad 2.93GHz "amount to" either an i7 based Xeon quad core with hyperthreading or two i7 Xeon quad cores with hyperthreading? Unless he's comparing it to the original Mac Pro from 2006 which had Core 2 Quad based Xeon chips, which was available as a 3.0Ghz machine at $3299.

I'm all for hackintosh building but some people really stretch their comparisons. A core i7 based quad system could maybe be compared to an entry level Mac Pro, even though it doesn't have ECC and Xeon chips. A hackintosh using Xeon chips etc could definitely be compared. Both would of course be cheaper than Apple's current overpriced Mac Pro pricing but this comparison just isn't remotely accurate or fair.

It is a beautiful bit of hardware that he's made there. Apart from the EFIX chip. Poor sucker fell for their scam. :(

Jaspel

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
very nice
I'm jealous
few questions though..
anodized or paint, any issues with heat?
why destroy a dev unit when standards can be had for less than 50?
don't mac pros have dual xeons ie 16 threds?
you paid for efix?
any plans to emulate xbox for original function?

dirtykid

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jaspel[/nom]very niceI'm jealousfew questions though..anodized or paint, any issues with heat?why destroy a dev unit when standards can be had for less than 50?don't mac pros have dual xeons ie 16 threds?you paid for efix?any plans to emulate xbox for original function?[/citation]

That was exactly my thought the whole time: 'this is all very nice, but will it play Xbox?'

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]jaspel[/nom]very niceI'm jealousfew questions though..anodized or paint, any issues with heat?why destroy a dev unit when standards can be had for less than 50?don't mac pros have dual xeons ie 16 threds?you paid for efix?any plans to emulate xbox for original function?[/citation]

to answer some of your question i dont think heat was too much of a problem and no mac pros dont have 16 threads, they have 8 threads because the xeons only have 1 thread per core, the only cpu tht has 8 threads on 4 physical cores is the core i7, and a mac pro with 8 cores costs around 5000 so yeahh....

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]impulse fire911[/nom]to answer some of your question i dont think heat was too much of a problem and no mac pros dont have 16 threads, they have 8 threads because the xeons only have 1 thread per core, the only cpu tht has 8 threads on 4 physical cores is the core i7, and a mac pro with 8 cores costs around 5000 so yeahh....[/citation]

The Xeons have 8/16 threads since they use hyperthreading. They have 2 threads per core. The 8 core Mac Pro has 16 virtual processors and the 4 core Mac Pro has 8 virtual processors, as does the Core i7 iMac. The Core i5 iMac, however, does not have hyperthreading and so only hs 4 virtual processors.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Now let's see the video where Newegg and ExpressHD take his design and puts it on an assembly line.

Talented guy ... choice in music ... not so much.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Very nice.
I damn near went crazy assembling my i7 system in a normal case though...
Guess it pays to plan ahead. That leads me to wonder though, how long did the guy plan for this?

Jaspel

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
[citation][nom]nh484000[/nom]very nice. I am wondering where he got those SATA power connection though. Id love to get some[/citation]

no, Its $3000 with 4 hds at 640gb. I think its funny how I spent 30 minutes verifying exactly which cpu they currently have just to have someone post who didn't even know what a xeon is. You remind me of the kids who come in to my store and tell me that amd laptops are superior. In my opinion it is very hard to build the 16 core mac cheaper without really going low quality parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.