OSes Not booting properly on laptop

wetbatman

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
hey everyone, so i had 3 OSes installed on my laptop (ASUS k56cb) i had windows 10, kali linux and ubuntu (had ubuntu because a program i needed wasn't compatible with kal) anyways

so today my windows decided to update itself and made kali not able to boot (ubuntu worked just fine) so since i had a gunked up windows install anyway i decided to start fresh, i created the windows 10 bootable usb booted from it and deleted all partitions after that i proceeded to install windows (which installed fine)

after i tried to install kali but when it got to partitioning it gave me a notice that one of the installed operating systems was not in UEFI mode and the installer asked me if i wanted to force kali to install in UEFI or not i chose legacy install, but then it gave me an error that it could not find a .efi file, so i decided to wipe my drive again and this time install kali on the whole disk but it still gave me the warning that an OS was not in UEFI mode this time i clicked on install as UEFI but after the install kali did't boot in fact my laptop gave me the os not found error on boot time

i have created both bootable USBs with rufus i have tried swaping them, no luck also windows 10 doesn't get read as UEFI but kali does kali also boots into live cd mode

any help would be appreciated, also everything was working before so its very weird it broke now ;d

thanks in advance

Solution
What motherboard do you have? In my experience, even today with most mobos supporting uefi you have to very explicitly state you want to boot in uefi mode for each disc/drive.

For example, I have an ASUS mobo, and whenever I want to do an install on my (entirely UEFI system) in UEFI mode, I need to go into the BIOS and boot to 'UEFI: Disc Name'. Otherwise, my motherboard automatically boots 'Disc Name' in legacy mode.

If you don't mind starting from scratch just to be sure, I would do this:
1. Download gParted and boot it specifying UEFI boot in your BIOS boot menu.
2. In gParted, on the hard drive/SSD you want to install your OSs to, create new partition table as GPT (this is important as (GPT is needed if you want UEFI installs on...

danageis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
What motherboard do you have? In my experience, even today with most mobos supporting uefi you have to very explicitly state you want to boot in uefi mode for each disc/drive.

For example, I have an ASUS mobo, and whenever I want to do an install on my (entirely UEFI system) in UEFI mode, I need to go into the BIOS and boot to 'UEFI: Disc Name'. Otherwise, my motherboard automatically boots 'Disc Name' in legacy mode.

If you don't mind starting from scratch just to be sure, I would do this:
1. Download gParted and boot it specifying UEFI boot in your BIOS boot menu.
2. In gParted, on the hard drive/SSD you want to install your OSs to, create new partition table as GPT (this is important as (GPT is needed if you want UEFI installs on the disc). This will completely wipe the disc.
3. Reboot and load each OS installer you want to install on the drive, again making sure to manually specify UEFI boot mode from the BIOS boot menu.

Hope this helps, going between UEFI and MBR partitions on a disc cab be a major headache and in my experience it's best to start fresh if you can. If you run into any trouble please post issues here

Solution