Question Other devices connect to Public Wifi but my laptop doesn't ?

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hello everyone! I have had problems as late trying to use open wifi that is available in the area where I work. How I get access is the usual way public access is given: I go to the wifi icon in the system tray, I select the wifi access point in which the browser opens to the Terms of Service screen; I accept the terms then click the button on the next page to connect, I'm in.

Now when I do this from my laptop, after accepting the terms, then go to the next page to connect, after clicking the button the page goes back to the Terms of Service screen. Meanwhile, I have no trouble connecting to my tablet and phone.

Tried resets and flushdns, nothing works. Is the problem coming from their IP or am I overlooking a setting ? Thanks!

My laptop:
MSI / GF63 Thin 11UC
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

Reactions: Jamie_kaler
This does not appear to be a actual wifi issue. You would not even see the terms of service pages if you had no wifi connection.

This unfortunately is related to what ever authentication program the public wifi is using. It could also be related to your browser so try to clear cached data and cookies and see if it fixes it. Otherwise I would contact the tech support for the public service. Maybe it is not allowed for some reason and they just are not givining you a message saying why.

Jun 14, 2023
It seems like there might be an issue with your laptop's network settings or configuration. Try clearing your browser cache, disabling any proxies or VPNs, and updating your network drivers.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Make sure your system is running the latest version of .Net Framework via the Microsoft download site. I believe 4.6.2 supports the latest TLS security. You can verify which version you are running via
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework
Click on the latest version, go to the properties for any of the DLL files and check the version.
My latest installed is 4.8 on Win10

Last edited:

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Make sure your system is running the latest version of .Net Framework via the Microsoft download site. I believe 4.6.2 supports the latest TLS security. You can verify which version you are running via
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework
Click on the latest version, go to the properties for any of the DLL files and check the version.
My latest installed is 4.8 on Win10
Looked into my registry, the current version I have is 4.8.09032.

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
It seems like there might be an issue with your laptop's network settings or configuration. Try clearing your browser cache, disabling any proxies or VPNs, and updating your network drivers.
Only use VPN when I'm at home, so that's automatically off. I'm looking through my browser and laptop settings to turn off any proxies and try to log in when I reach the office to see that helps. My network drivers are up to date.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
It would appear you are attempting to login to an ip address. I would try adding it to your firewall to allow access. I would also try a different browser first.

Last edited:

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
It would appear you are attempting to login to an ip address. I would try adding it to your firewall to allow access. I would also try a different browser first.
Curious as to why would I have to since this is open to the public and doesn't even require password credentials?

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
In effect, that indicates that the problem either resides with Windows or your browser. Change the browser to Firefox (and make it default,) or something other than the one you're using and try again. You could even (as a test only) disable your firewall if that fails. Could also be your anti virus program, disable it.

Last edited:

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
In effect, that indicates that the problem either resides with Windows or your browser. Change the browser to Firefox (and make it default,) or something other than the one you're using and try again. You could even (as a test only) disable your firewall if that fails. Could also be your anti virus program, disable it.
Been there, done that and nothing happened. Also earlier before heading to my office, I tried other wifi access points like the dock office across from me, Starbucks and another shop's wifi in the next building...no problem, laptop connected to all of them.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
OK, now we’re getting somewhere. At your next attempt and before accepting the terms, in the address bar type http://neverssl.com
If it connects to the Neverssl site, you're online.
The idea here is that the SSL formula for browsing isn't redirecting properly because of the website address. When you click on "accept," the redirect gets confused because the address is not the real site address interpreted by the browser. It's a security violation.
Going to the "Neverssl" site guarantees a non secure connection. Once there, the browser can go anywhere because the connection is now made.

Last edited:

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
OK, now we’re getting somewhere. At your next attempt and before accepting the terms, in the address bar type http://neverssl.com
If it connects to the Neverssl site, you're online.
The idea here is that the SSL formula for browsing isn't redirecting properly because of the website address. When you click on "accept," the redirect gets confused because the address is not the real site address interpreted by the browser. It's a security violation.
Going to the "Neverssl" site guarantees a non secure connection. Once there, the browser can go anywhere because the connection is now made.
Don't know what to tell you, I tried it and nothing. Still loops back to the Welcome page. But did bookmark it just in case, didn't know the site existed.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Next time try it after the accept when it goes back to the main page
If that doesn’t work, select the wifi network and at the first page in the address bar type fixwifi.it and enter

Last edited:

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Just to be clear…after you hit “accept” using your android devices, you wind up back at the Welcome page? Or do you get some type of Login page?
After I hit "accept" browser closes, a notification pops up (I assume most android devices do this) stating I'm logged in and that's it.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
After I hit "accept" browser closes, a notification pops up (I assume most android devices do this) stating I'm logged in and that's it.
And with your laptop, after it returns you to the welcome page, if you check the wifi connection status does it indicate “Connected” via the wifi/network icon on the taskbar?

TRENDING THREADS