Question Other devices connect to Public Wifi but my laptop doesn't ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hello everyone! I have had problems as late trying to use open wifi that is available in the area where I work. How I get access is the usual way public access is given: I go to the wifi icon in the system tray, I select the wifi access point in which the browser opens to the Terms of Service screen; I accept the terms then click the button on the next page to connect, I'm in.

Now when I do this from my laptop, after accepting the terms, then go to the next page to connect, after clicking the button the page goes back to the Terms of Service screen. Meanwhile, I have no trouble connecting to my tablet and phone.

Tried resets and flushdns, nothing works. Is the problem coming from their IP or am I overlooking a setting ? Thanks!

My laptop:
MSI / GF63 Thin 11UC
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

Reactions: Jamie_kaler

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
And with your laptop, after it returns you to the welcome page, if you check the wifi connection status does it indicate “Connected” via the wifi/network icon on the taskbar?
Under the wifi tab in the system tray it says "Action needed, no internet" and right below it it says "Open browser and connect".

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
And at that point, go back to the address bar and type fixwifi.it and enter. See if it tells you you are online. You might want to try that at various points of your login routine.
The other thing to ensure is that the DNS address setting is automatically set for your wireless.
You can check this via the properties of the Wifi Network settings via change adapter settings, right click on the properties for the IPV4 connection and make sure that the settings for obtaining DNS addresses is set to automatic.
Additionally, you might want to "Forget" that wifi network and then attempt reconnection.

Last edited:

n3ro

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
And with your laptop, after it returns you to the welcome page, if you check the wifi connection status does it indicate “Connected” via the wifi/network icon on the taskbar?
No, it indicates "Action needed, no internet". Then there is a link below it which says "Open browser and connect"
pnYdgrQ.png
DLilfCu.png

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
No, it indicates "Action needed, no internet". Then there is a link below it which says "Open browser and connect"
pnYdgrQ.png
DLilfCu.png
And at this point, it’s actually indicating a connection made “disconnect.” What happens if you respond to “open browser and connect?”
Additionally, try to “forget” that network via right clicking it’s access icon in network settings and re-attempt login.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS