Question Out of nowhere BSOD on Monday night, followed by more every morning

Apr 30, 2022
It's been 5 days now and I still can't fix it on my own, so I'm at the end of my rope here.

Quick rundown: this Monday (4/25) night around 10 or 11pm I got a very sudden BSOD. The last BSOD I had was back in November, when it was crashing almost every day and I couldn't figure out why - eventually, updating my realtek network driver fixed the problem. That's the first thing I tried after restarting, but to no avail. Since then, without fail, every morning I will wake my PC up from sleep, it'll wait a few minutes, and then immediately bluescreen with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, or some other similar message. I got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION once, but it hasn't happened again. I think I did get a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreen one of those times. Strangely enough after it bluescreens and restarts (or more accurately, I have to manually restart it - my PC always seems to just hang at 100% and never auto-reboot), it's fine for the whole day. Absolutely no other BSODs for the rest of the time that I'm using it that day, until I put it into sleep mode for the night, and wake it up the next day.

Again: one BSOD late Monday night, another on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning, along with Saturday (today as of writing).
When that initial BSOD happened on Monday I wasn't doing anything particularly intensive. I was on a discord call and I had OBS open, so that I could hear the audio from my capture card while I was playing something on PS4. The only other programs that were open would've been spotify, firefox, your general stuff, nothing that's ever strained my PC before.

So far, what I've tried:

1. Update my realtek network driver (didn't solve)
  2. Update my AMD graphics driver (didn't solve, did this twice actually since there was another update later)
  3. Run sfc /scannow (the first time it found corrupt files and repaired them, so I was optimistic, but that still didn't solve it. running it again has revealed no further issues)
  4. Run the DISM tool (no issues found, didn't solve)
  5. Updated Windows itself (didn't solve)
  6. Run Windows Memory Diagnostics (no issues found, didn't solve)

Trying to analyze the dumps and what have you in Windbg has not helped me at all, it just goes right over my head. Unfortunately my PC seems to have only saved minidumps yesterday and today, so I apologize for not having more to go off of (unless they're stored somewhere else that I'm not aware of) but I will add more dumps if the crashes continue. I can't see anything on this forum for attachments (my first time as a user here, sorry) so I've put the dumps into this Megasync folder: https://mega.nz/folder/CMQzkZzA#12LU-_jOkv5v-4uCPEDkHg

My specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM (2x8GB sticks)
  • Radeon RX 570 (4GB VRAM)
  • 500GB SSD (windows installation is here)
  • 2TB HDD

I bought this PC pre-built back in 2018, it's a "CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Master GMA6600CPG" so any specs you find on that are likely to be the same as mine. The only thing I've changed since is adding the GPU, and getting an SSD to move the OS to.

If you need more information I'll be glad to give it, thanks to anyone in advance.

supercater500

Commendable
Feb 21, 2020
Took a quick look at the errors you were getting, I would try to update all of your drivers first, next I would configure the page file to the size of 3 GB or greater. Last I would try to test a different pair of RAM to see if that fixes it. If none of that fixes it I believe it would either be a CPU or Motherboard issue.

Apr 30, 2022
Took a quick look at the errors you were getting, I would try to update all of your drivers first, next I would configure the page file to the size of 3 GB or greater. Last I would try to test a different pair of RAM to see if that fixes it. If none of that fixes it I believe it would either be a CPU or Motherboard issue.
Taking a look at my page file size reveals that it's currently set to around 23GB, 23552MB to be exact. Should I bring that lower? As for the second point, I don't really have any other RAM on hand to test out.

It's been 5 days now and I still can't fix it on my own, so I'm at the end of my rope here.

Quick rundown: this Monday (4/25) night around 10 or 11pm I got a very sudden BSOD. The last BSOD I had was back in November, when it was crashing almost every day and I couldn't figure out why - eventually, updating my realtek network driver fixed the problem. That's the first thing I tried after restarting, but to no avail. Since then, without fail, every morning I will wake my PC up from sleep, it'll wait a few minutes, and then immediately bluescreen with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, or some other similar message. I got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION once, but it hasn't happened again. I think I did get a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreen one of those times. Strangely enough after it bluescreens and restarts (or more accurately, I have to manually restart it - my PC always seems to just hang at 100% and never auto-reboot), it's fine for the whole day. Absolutely no other BSODs for the rest of the time that I'm using it that day, until I put it into sleep mode for the night, and wake it up the next day.

Again: one BSOD late Monday night, another on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning, along with Saturday (today as of writing).
When that initial BSOD happened on Monday I wasn't doing anything particularly intensive. I was on a discord call and I had OBS open, so that I could hear the audio from my capture card while I was playing something on PS4. The only other programs that were open would've been spotify, firefox, your general stuff, nothing that's ever strained my PC before.

So far, what I've tried:

1. Update my realtek network driver (didn't solve)
  2. Update my AMD graphics driver (didn't solve, did this twice actually since there was another update later)
  3. Run sfc /scannow (the first time it found corrupt files and repaired them, so I was optimistic, but that still didn't solve it. running it again has revealed no further issues)
  4. Run the DISM tool (no issues found, didn't solve)
  5. Updated Windows itself (didn't solve)
  6. Run Windows Memory Diagnostics (no issues found, didn't solve)
Trying to analyze the dumps and what have you in Windbg has not helped me at all, it just goes right over my head. Unfortunately my PC seems to have only saved minidumps yesterday and today, so I apologize for not having more to go off of (unless they're stored somewhere else that I'm not aware of) but I will add more dumps if the crashes continue. I can't see anything on this forum for attachments (my first time as a user here, sorry) so I've put the dumps into this Megasync folder: https://mega.nz/folder/CMQzkZzA#12LU-_jOkv5v-4uCPEDkHg

My specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM (2x8GB sticks)
  • Radeon RX 570 (4GB VRAM)
  • 500GB SSD (windows installation is here)
  • 2TB HDD
I bought this PC pre-built back in 2018, it's a "CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Master GMA6600CPG" so any specs you find on that are likely to be the same as mine. The only thing I've changed since is adding the GPU, and getting an SSD to move the OS to.

If you need more information I'll be glad to give it, thanks to anyone in advance.
What happens if you use shutdown at night and then power up the next morning?

Apr 30, 2022
What happens if you use shutdown at night and then power up the next morning?
I haven't tried waiting a whole night, but I've restarted it to finish driver updates (after the initial bluescreen reboot, during the evening) and I didn't get a bluescreen then. It seems to only trigger shortly after waking up.

l went ahead and just bought new RAM today, I was going to upgrade it one day regardless and I'm in an okay position to do so, so I'll update on that when I get it installed.

supercater500

Commendable
Feb 21, 2020
Taking a look at my page file size reveals that it's currently set to around 23GB, 23552MB to be exact. Should I bring that lower? As for the second point, I don't really have any other RAM on hand to test out.

Just noticed you said you put your computer to sleep during the night, if you're running Windows 11 this is a known issue from what I've seen and one of the solutions is to roll back your graphics drivers. Found this out from this article.

Doing some research someone had a very similar problem as you did and they ended up fixing it by replacing their motherboard and PSU. I don't believe this to be the same problem for you though, I would try to use old graphics drivers and if that doesn't work use DDU to completely uninstall them.

both bugchecks were in some file filter. I can not debug with a minidump. you would have to provide a kernel memory dump.

you can take a look at your installed file filters by starting cmd.exe as an admin then run the command

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> fltmc.exe

(below is the default list on my computer)

Filter Name Num Instances Altitude Frame
------------------------------ ------------- ------------ -----
bindflt 1 409800 0
WdFilter 8 328010 0
storqosflt 0 244000 0
wcifs 1 189900 0
CldFlt 0 180451 0
FileCrypt 0 141100 0
luafv 1 135000 0
npsvctrig 1 46000 0
Wof 6 40700 0
FileInfo 8 40500 0
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

you can use fltmc.exe /? to get help on removing suspect filters.
--------------
why would this be loaded:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers\IocDriver\64bit\iocbios2.sys Fri Sep 15 03:22:21 2017

debugger shows
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics

is this a old windows intel cpu build stuffed into a AMD box?

-------------
download autoruns https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
and remove the intel cpu overclock driver.

you might also look at your old partition wizard driver and others that you may not need any more.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
It had the AMD CPU when I bought it, so I'd have no way of knowing whether there was an intel processor in here at some point.
Is removing file filters a safe thing to do? What would it impact?

EDIT: This is my list, by the way.

Code:
Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
------------------------------  -------------  ------------  -----
bindflt                                 1       409800         0
MBAMChameleon                          10       400900         0
WdFilter                               11       328010         0
storqosflt                              0       244000         0
wcifs                                   1       189900         0
gameflt                                 4       189850         0
CldFlt                                  4       180451         0
FileCrypt                               0       141100         0
luafv                                   1       135000         0
npsvctrig                               1        46000         0
Wof                                     8        40700         0
FileInfo                               11        40500         0

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

If you bought a used PC and you don’t know what happened to it before you came into ownership the first thing you should do is format and reinstall because it does appear that this was an Intel box. somebody did a mobo and CPU switch and never reinstall the operating system. And now you’re going to find problems like this for the rest of your life until you corrected the proper way. What you’re doing now is wasting time

Apr 30, 2022
If you bought a used PC and you don’t know what happened to it before you came into ownership the first thing you should do is format and reinstall because it does appear that this was an Intel box. somebody did a mobo and CPU switch and never reinstall the operating system. And now you’re going to find problems like this for the rest of your life until you corrected the proper way. What you’re doing now is wasting time
This was not a used PC, it arrived brand-new and I'd bought it from B&H. What I meant earlier by "I'd have no way of knowing whether there was an intel processor in here at some point" was more just to say that I had no idea why the intel driver was there.

Apr 30, 2022
I believe those filters were indeed the problem. Checking the event viewer, on both the 29th and 30th (my event viewer doesn't go back further) there were two events that occured right before a critical kernel-power error, which I believe is the BSOD. FileCrypt had started, and then npsvctrig had started.

This morning, I've received no crash at all in about 40 minutes. I'm looking at the event viewer, and neither of these filters seem to have started up. I'm not really calling it solved because I don't believe the issue has just fixed itself, but at least I'm relatively certain about the cause.

I've discovered another thing sifting through the event viewer, actually - on both 4/29 and 4/30, the days I got bluescreens following those filters loading, sometime before shortly after the system woke from sleep it logged an error, saying "the previous shutdown on [time] was unexpected". Said time is when I had put it to sleep the night before. Today, no such error was logged. Are these two correlated somehow?

Apr 30, 2022
Don't mean to post thrice in a row but I figured I should give an update - these bluescreens have miraculously stopped happening as of last sunday, May 1st. I had done absolutely no updates or changes the previous night, but so far I've not received a single BSOD or any sign of error since the beginning of the month. I had even ordered some RAM just in case I needed to replace it, and since I got no crash I decided to simply add it onto my existing memory. And even that has not caused me any issues thus far. I still have no idea why my PC suddenly decided it get hung up on what I assume was an issue with those file filters, but it seems like it doesn't care anymore.

system is trying to find a driver for "ViGEmBus"
part of Virtual Gamepad Emulation Framework

looks like the error code was
1: kd> !error 0xc0000708
Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000708 (3221227272) - The resource requested is already in use.
looks like the driver is already installed:
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ViGEmBus.sys Mon Dec 14 06:29:52 2020
not sure why plug and play would try to install it again. I would remove the old driver and reinstall it.

the bugchcek looks like
WmiPrvSE.exe
was trying to get info on the process and got a access violation. I would suspect it is related to the failed install, the status of the failed install indicated it was pending.
it could be a update that is not completed until the machine reboots.
I think remove the device and install it again your system will not get this bugcheck again. if this is a USB device the usbsubsystem indicates that many of your USB devices are asleep waiting for a wake up signal. This can mean you have a port hub that is asleep and other hubs are connected to it and can not wake up.
you might run your system in high performance mode to prevent this or go into windows control panel device manager and right click on the usb and hid devices and find the power management tab and tell window not to sleep for that device.
on newer systems the usb 3 hub has the usb 2 hubs connected to it, then devices connected to the usb 2 hub. Not good if one of the hubs in the usb chain goes to sleep, it can block a device from getting its wake signal
device Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd is listed as suspended.
device USB\VID_0FD9&PID_005E&REV_1F4F El Gato Software LLC
was also suspended

edit:
you also have Oculus_ViGEmBus.sys installed
most likely it is using the resources that vigembus.sys tried to use
sounds like they might be from the same code base.

debugger reports file modifications in your usb subsystem.
still see the intel overclock util installed. it could be malware trying to hide.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers\IocDriver\64bit\iocbios2.sys

\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Oculus_ViGEmBus.sys Wed Aug 2 16:42:02 2017

\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ViGEmBus.sys Mon Dec 14 06:29:52 2020

lots of drivers that I do not see people using very often.

Last edited: