derrickwilczek

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
For reference, here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HbtgXL

i5-4690K 3.5GHz
Asus Z971-Plus Mini ITX
NZXT Kraken X52
EVGA DDR3-1600 RAM

Guys, I need some input here. Yesterday, out of nowhere and during normal low level gaming use (Fortnite), I received a warning about CPU temp being high. It started at around 84c and climbed to 100c. Obviously dangerous temps. Hoping the issue to be a fluke, I restarted after a shutdown and stumbled into an issue where the PC wouldn't even power up. Through some trial and error, I determined one of the sticks of RAM became unseated. PC booted up and into windows but I noted performance was EXTREMELY SLUGGISH. Even with normal startup processes.

I adjusted my Kraken cooling settings to performance and maxed out the fans, but the CPU was still registering wicked hot at 100c. Keep in mind, both NZXT CAM software and Open Hardware Monitor were registering similar temps.

I am going to try a clean install of windows today. Maybe some driver issue? Just trying to make sense of how this would happen randomly after no new updates/changes to software/hardware.

Any suggestions? Do we think the CPU is crapping out?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!! DW

Solution
likely culprit: NZXT - Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Pump or aio coolant blockage.
slap a air cool heatsink and test again

Edit: Run HWINFO in sensor mode and look at CPU Fan/AIO _Fan speed, likely running under 1200rpm which is not enough (usually aio run 2000+ rpm)