Out of the box i7 4790K acting weird

julzerinos

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Greetings folks,

(I posted this on reddit earlier, but due to very little interest, I'm looking for some help here)

I've had my newly built PC for about three weeks and I've finally reached the conclusion that there must be something wrong with my CPU.

First off, the CPU temps are always really high reaching values of 80°C - 90°C even at idle. I blow it off as problems with the temperature sensors and move on.

I finally get around to playing games and I get unbearable stuttering every 3 - 4 seconds. I update the motherboard's BIOS and it's ok for about a week and a half until the stuttering has come back. I identified this as a CPU bottleneck, because even at lower resolutions and graphics quality the stuttering appears. During gaming I use CPU-Z and I can see that the voltage and the multiplier are jumping up and down from 0.6V to 1.2V (x8 to x44).

And now we reach the most frustrating point; the CPU settings in the BIOS. I tried to edit the settings of voltage manually and the computer crashes after windows starts logging in. I tried to change to another predetermined CPU profile, same effect. The settings are set to auto and I can't change them in anyway.

The Intel diagnostics tool passes all tests (with the temperature monitor off, because the temps reach 90°C despite the chassis being very cool). I haven't used prime95 fully because I don't have time or the ability to leave my PC on for a longer period of time.

I haven't used and thermal paste and I'm using the stock cooler, although the chassis and the CPU surroundings are very cool all the time.

I'm going to try to contact Intel, but if I reach no avail I'll use the warranty I have on the CPU.

Does anyone have any experience with this CPU or had similar problems with other CPUs?

Anyone had any experience with using the warranty?

Specs:

GTX 1080

i7 4790K

16GB RAM crucial ballistix

Gigabyte Z97-HD3

Solution
Problem could be paste or mountaing but in your place I wouldn't use stock cooler for that cpu at all. It simply can't cool it enough. Speak from my personal experience. Try with aftermarket one 212 evo or else.

Best luck!

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

So are your, or are you not using thermal paste? It is a must have and you should not use your computer without it.

julzerinos

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
I've deduced that the CPU/cooler came with some stock paste preapplied, so I decided to go with that. Do you think the lack of paste could be the issue here?

AreH

Distinguished
Problem could be paste or mountaing but in your place I wouldn't use stock cooler for that cpu at all. It simply can't cool it enough. Speak from my personal experience. Try with aftermarket one 212 evo or else.

Best luck!

Solution