Out of touch, do I upgrade?

rustyrifles

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Hi all,

Love gaming and always built my own pc, however components are much more complex and Ive not really kept upto date with CPU`s, chipsets etc.

So, I currently have an Asus Sabertooth Z77, running 4xCorsair 1600Mhz 4GB Chips, running Intel i7-3770k 3.5Ghz CPU, with a GTX 780-Ti. I have a wide screen 32" monitor running 3440x1440 res. We obviously have some exciting games coming out over the next few months and love running at full wack etc. Question is, is the jump from this machine to a nice new 1151 Intel with the new chipset worth that jump? I would sell this machine and spec out a whole new setup, but torn if that jump is big enough. Is there half measures anyone could suggest?

I would obviously upgrade to a 980ti(I think) but also running a sound blaster ZXR(again sound cards don't seem to have moved forward that much).

Any advice would be greatly received.

Lee.

Solution
I'm running a 2500k, which is even older, and a i5 not i7. And it holds nothing back. If for gaming, that i7 won't need an upgrade for at least 2 more years...at least. Really, it is just the GPU that needs a bump. Based on your first post specs...to run 3440x1440 all you need is a better GPU. The 780ti should sell ok too.

warhead0

Distinguished
Your rig is still very capable in most games, all you'd have to do to keep it going strong in future games is upgrade the GPU.

Not a huge amount of performance to be gained by buying a new rig. probably not really worth it.

rustyrifles

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks,Bailojustin, Im running a CCMPSU-850AX corsair which seems to be holding its ground well, so If I don't go for a full upgrade(which it sounds like I dont need to) Ill probably keep running with that.

Envy, since I brought the CPU about 3 years ago, I thought it would be lagging behind somewhat but it sounds ok, which is good news. So it sounds like just a case and graphics card upgrade is all thats needed.

Im running an old Sennheiser PC360 headset with my sound card, presume all is good there?

Lee.

rustyrifles

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

Thanks warhead0, sounds like im good to go for a little while yet then, which is good news.

Lee.

I'm running a 2500k, which is even older, and a i5 not i7. And it holds nothing back. If for gaming, that i7 won't need an upgrade for at least 2 more years...at least. Really, it is just the GPU that needs a bump. Based on your first post specs...to run 3440x1440 all you need is a better GPU. The 780ti should sell ok too.

Solution