[SOLVED] Outdated PC specs, advice on starting my rebuild

Nov 20, 2021
I currently am running on a PC with some older and outdated hardware and would like some advice on the path I should take when starting my rebuild. Of course I don't have the money to buy everything up front or I wouldn't be on here taking advice and asking some questions from you professionals. Also, I've been out of the game for years and been busy with work and other things so please just try and not judge or hate on my hardware or specs. Just trying to get back into the game with the right stuff and want to buy them in the order of importance based on what I'm currently running. Thanks and all the help is appreciated!

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G Quad-Core @ 3.7GHz Boost Clock
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4G @1455 MHz Boost Clock
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M
RAM: 8GB DDR4
PSU: EVGA 500w Bronze
Storage 128GB SSD

Solution
Just finishing up a new build of my own. I'd say what you're currently running is a lot less important than what you want to use the computer for, how much you're able (or willing) to spend, and over what period of time.

Your current MB is micro-ATX form factor, but you don't mention what your case is. If you've got a smaller case, and you intend to keep it, then that limits your MB options. If you're willing to buy a new case too, then you'll have a more MB options.

You also don't provide details about the SSD you're using. You might want to make sure that the motherboard you pick gives you the opportunity to upgrade that SSD in case you decide you want something current...
Nov 19, 2021
Just finishing up a new build of my own. I'd say what you're currently running is a lot less important than what you want to use the computer for, how much you're able (or willing) to spend, and over what period of time.

Your current MB is micro-ATX form factor, but you don't mention what your case is. If you've got a smaller case, and you intend to keep it, then that limits your MB options. If you're willing to buy a new case too, then you'll have a more MB options.

You also don't provide details about the SSD you're using. You might want to make sure that the motherboard you pick gives you the opportunity to upgrade that SSD in case you decide you want something current (NVME PCIe 4.0) now or down road.

I'd recommend a couple of sites as being useful for your research:
GamersNexus (very detailed reviews of various components)
PCPartPicker (best price comparison site out there IMO, and lots of folks post their completed builds)
Tom's Hardware (helpful, detailed reviews)

Also, I highly recommend Micro Center (www.microcenter.com) as a vendor. There aren't many brick and mortar computer stores with sales people who are really knowledgeable enough about computer components to have a smart discussion with customers and help them make informed decisions. The folks I talked to at my local store were really great as I was deciding on my build. Plus, super competitive on prices and they price match Newegg and Amazon. That's a win-win-win. If there's one near you, I suggest you swing by and talk to them.

My rig: I care a lot about flexibility, and didn't want to stress about upgrades for the couple of years, so I went with a full-size case and ATX motherboard and decided to push the envelope a little bit on RAM and storage.
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ($110)
MB: ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi ($160)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X ($260)
CPU Cooler: Stock (AMD bundles a cooler with the CPU, should be fine for now)
RAM: 32G G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-4000 ($170)
Storage: 1T WD Black SN850 ($165)

GPU note: if you've looked at all, you already know it's a terrible time to buy GPUs. Crypto mining and supply chain issues have the entire market completely out of whack, and it's not likely to improve until next year. So no matter what GPU you pick, if you're upgrading now you're going to be paying more than MSRP (maybe a lot more). If you're really sensitive on cost, it would be best to focus on the other components first.
My GPU: MSI GeForce 3060 Ti (paid $650 at Micro Center, compared to $850+ at reputable vendors online, MSRP $400 at release, should be ~$325 street price in a normal market).

I currently am running on a PC with some older and outdated hardware and would like some advice on the path I should take when starting my rebuild. Of course I don't have the money to buy everything up front or I wouldn't be on here taking advice and asking some questions from you professionals. Also, I've been out of the game for years and been busy with work and other things so please just try and not judge or hate on my hardware or specs. Just trying to get back into the game with the right stuff and want to buy them in the order of importance based on what I'm currently running. Thanks and all the help is appreciated!

Storage 128GB SSD

Solution

Storage 128GB SSD
What country are you located, what's your budget and what is your monitor resolution?