Question Outdoor Wifi for large single family residence?

Aug 4, 2024
Hello. I have a customer whose computers I work on that has a Google Wifi mesh system with one "puck" as the main router on one side of his home and three "pucks" on the opposite side of the home. Two inside and and one in a backyard gazebo about 75-80 ft. away from the home. He has excellent signal throughout the house, but virtually none in the gazebo. Two years ago I installed a wifi powerline adapter going from the LAN port on one of the pucks to a LAN port on the one in the gazebo and it worked for those two years but his ISP and cable company reset the signal to his house and now I am getting nothing. Weak or no wifi signal and no powerline connection. He gets excellent signal from his next door neighbors network which is farther away than his home.

I am looking for something reliable to extend or repeat the signal of his home network across the backyard to this gazebo without having to drill holes for new cables or getting up on a ladder to mount something. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"it worked for those two years but his ISP and cable company reset the signal to his house and now I am getting nothing. Weak or no wifi signal and no powerline connection."

What was the nature of that reset?

IP addresses, Roaming aggressiveness, etc..?

Aug 4, 2024
Hi. I am not sure. The man was on the phone about changing over to fiber optic and they did some over the phone tests with the cable. All I really know is that he had to sign back into his wifi on his laptop, ipad, roku sticks, etc. He did not make the switch to fiber.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2024
Thank you for the link, this would require hole drilling through his outside walls and some digging to bury the cable. It is doable, but I am not equipped or experienced enough to drill holes in the walls or dig trenches to bury the cable, but I definitely can't climb a ladder to mount new poles on the side of the house and gazebo.
His powerline adapters could be fried.

Get a new outdoor ethernet cable

https://www.amazon.com/outdoor-ethernet-cable/s?k=outdoor+ethernet+cable

kanewolf

Titan
Hello. I have a customer whose computers I work on that has a Google Wifi mesh system with one "puck" as the main router on one side of his home and three "pucks" on the opposite side of the home. Two inside and and one in a backyard gazebo about 75-80 ft. away from the home. He has excellent signal throughout the house, but virtually none in the gazebo. Two years ago I installed a wifi powerline adapter going from the LAN port on one of the pucks to a LAN port on the one in the gazebo and it worked for those two years but his ISP and cable company reset the signal to his house and now I am getting nothing. Weak or no wifi signal and no powerline connection. He gets excellent signal from his next door neighbors network which is farther away than his home.

I am looking for something reliable to extend or repeat the signal of his home network across the backyard to this gazebo without having to drill holes for new cables or getting up on a ladder to mount something. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Nothing an ISP can do would impact powerline network hardware. But "gazebo" sounds in the elements. Powerline network hardware is not rated for outdoor use. Did you at least have a NEMA enclosure for the adapter outside ?
Replace the powerline adapters and get a NEMA enclosure for the outdoor unit. Use an extension cord plugged directly into the outlet. Do not use a power strip in the NEMA enclosure.

Reactions: lantis3

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
No need to bury the cable. He does not have garden wall/fence to run the cable?

I don't like powerline adapters, but if you have no choice, then do as suggested by @kanewolf

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2024
No need to bury the cable. He does not have garden wall/fence to run the cable?

I don't like powerline adapters, but if you have no choice, then do as suggested by @kanewolf
I am leaning to the ethernet cable solution. The gazebo is enclosed so it gets extremely hot, humid, dusty, but no rain or snow. It gets cable tv from a buried line and electric power comes off the roof of the house and onto the roof of the gazebo.

I don't like the powerline adapters either but the one that was in there was a last resort to begin with, after trying a couple of plugin extenders that did not work. I am basically looking for something that can boost Wifi signal over 75ft-100ft. There is a fence but it has a gate in the middle of it. I suppose, if it is outdoor rated, I can cover the cable with something at the foot of the gate?