Ouya Pushing to be a Media Center Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Better to buy this console. It will be like dreamcast. Something collectors keep because it killed a company and many people lost their job because of it.

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Better to buy this console. It will be like dreamcast. Something collectors keep because it killed a company and many people lost their job because of it.[/citation]
Because Sega doesn't exist anymore right?

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]benikens[/nom]Because Sega doesn't exist anymore right?[/citation]
And what is sega nowdays? 3d sonic games, thats pretty steep downhill.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
if i can attach an usb dvd (or even better BD) drive to this...i will buy it blindfolded...it plays games, runs on android, will have xbmc and mostly will be very affordable.

i remember when i was very very little...18 years ago maybe...my dad used to be a DIY-geek he passed it on me...really those good ol' days making autorun.bat's and stuff like that on software and even having proyects involving "low" end pc as amstrad pc's...damn 20 years full of corporative products dependency and now we are back to those DIY solutions...and all started with the little spark that was the Raspberry...

(excuse my inglish is not my main language)

taurine

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]And what is sega nowdays? 3d sonic games, thats pretty steep downhill.[/citation]

SEGA's published a TON of games. A search on steam gives you 187 results.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]taurine[/nom]SEGA's published a TON of games. A search on steam gives you 187 results.[/citation]
Sega got screwed after dreamcast sorry to break it to you... even though in my opinion it was the best system at the time

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I never thought of the OUYA as a home theater but given that the option is now available I can see it having a better chance in penetrating t he market. It would be an excellent competition device to the Roku and other similar devices, plus it can play games. I hope this thing does well.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Better to buy this console. It will be like dreamcast. Something collectors keep because it killed a company and many people lost their job because of it.[/citation]

dreamcast didnt kill sega, they were making 8 systems concurrently world wide and not going for a unified front. it would be like if nintendo still made every system they ever made, and still pumped games out for each too, dreamcast didnt kill sega, management did.

but beside that

if this console can play a 1080p bluray rip encoded into mkv, without lagging the video, i will buy this for the living room. as it would be a decent access point to the internet, play my movies, and be a console that is fairly capable.

G

This console is larger than a tablet,so they to put more power into it,like a hex core processor

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]And what is sega nowdays? 3d sonic games, thats pretty steep downhill.[/citation]

Oh my god, have you not seen the Total War series!? One of the best game franchises on PC.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]Oh my god, have you not seen the Total War series!? One of the best game franchises on PC.[/citation]
Yes sega funds game developments but thats because they cant make good games themselves :D

G

Judging by their promotional video their project looks like to me as "a girl that likes video games finally got a chance to make her own console, so she thought that she would be seen as someone doing something new and amazing by taking a bunch of premade stuff and reselling it to other people"...
I do not like that at all, anyone can (and people are doing that for 5-6 years already) take an integrated motherboard, free os and do a c&c machine cut for a box at a local store. With a little programing knowledge anyone can change the look of android interface. Other people are not doing that commercial because it doesn't make any sense to market a premade system. There is huge list of reasons why all of the consoles have their code written specifically for that system.
This is patetic.
I'm a bit outraged that this crap is compared to efforts for Commodore 64. This is my impression. This is just a little girl cutting up a collection of her doll dresses to make a new one, and hopefully get some approval from her parents.
This will suck ****** 100%.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
This is sounding more and more like the nexus Q, but I bet the Q won't be shipping with an already-outdated CPU/GPU chipset. Sadly I think the gaming capabilities of this (and the Q) are better served by OnLive rather than gameswritten for Tegra3. (and it's not like I have a high opinion of OnLive).

The sad fact of the matter is that games are already developed rapidly for the tegra platforms (even though they're not all that great). Tegra is changing almost on a yearly basis with the graphical capabilities more than doubling each time--not that this is different from desktop hardware, but desktop hardware is backwards-compatible for longer periods than tegra platforms. Tegra2 already can't play Tegra3 games, and Tegra3 is already not a new chipset. All a console like this is going to do is stagnate tegra-based development.

G

SEGA has gone downhill so bad, that it isn't funny.

SEGA's newest big title is a f2p online game, that has one of the most exploitative cash shops I've seen. They put many of the sought after items only available in their "scratch ticket-like" RNG items. During Closed Beta, I had a chance to check out their cash shop using the free in-game money they gave me. I easily spent the equivalent of hundreds of dollars to get the things I wanted. All this was within a few days too. Their cash shop is even more exploitative than Chinese MMOs, and that says a lot!

As much as I used to love SEGA and the Phantasy Star series, this has been way too much of a let down. Their Genesis glory days seem to be long over.

At $99, it'll be cheaper than a PS3 or XBox 360 and better in every way. No, it won't do much positive for PC gaming since the hardware is pretty weak, but if you had to ask yourself whether you should get your kid one of these or a $400 Xbox 720 for Christmas--which would you be happier to buy? Because we both know they'll mostly end up as Netflix/Hulu boxes 2 years from now.

It's not that it's a powerhouse, it's that it's well worth $99 if you don't already own a Smart TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.