Ouya Shipping to Kickstarter Backers This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I still think it's a shitty product. They could have put something like a dvd player with it, maybe even a better chip with discrete graphics.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
This is not meant to be cutting-edge or have awesome looking graphics. It's to bring games, specifically in an open-source environment, in on the cheap. Being open source it means anyone can develop for it, which means you can get small studios who couldn't afford PS3/Xbox development rights/hardware suddenly developing on this system. More games (albeit most of them will be crappy) means the potential for better ones.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]I still think it's a shitty product. They could have put something like a dvd player with it, maybe even a better chip with discrete graphics.[/citation]

Why, to drive up the price and sate a non-existant market? Brilliant.
You obviously have no idea what they are trying to do here.
Typical.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
It's also 99 bucks. Cheaper than a tablet ( Asus TF700T being comparable ), supports OpenGL 4 9( or maybe 3.2 ), users are stuck paying 60 bucks a game, all games must have a "demo" version and it's not just the big studios pumping out the same crap over and over. The industry is changing, get with the times or continue to play your atari 2600. If you are an Indie developer this is a dream come true with high demand. The only people that wont buy this are the people that support big business only and think the little people should fail. To them I say. enjoy your next halo, call of duty, gears of war, devil may cry and the rest of the boring rehashes that the studios survive on.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]The only people that wont buy this are the people that support big business only and think the little people should fail.[/citation]
Yeah, it couldn't possibly be people that aren't the target market that don't buy this. Some people don't want to buy a console just to play phone games. Quality matters to some people.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Fokissed[/nom]Yeah, it couldn't possibly be people that aren't the target market that don't buy this. Some people don't want to buy a console just to play phone games. Quality matters to some people.[/citation]

There is no reason they have to remain "phone games". With a real display, and extra storage available off of USB, a lot is possible. It just requires imagination, something you apparently dont have. Will it be state of the art? No, but you dont get that for $99.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
What it can be, is an affordable console alternative for kids games, etc. No reason to dump huge amounts of $ into MS/Sony pockets for your kids, and pay $50 up for Ratchet and Clank.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
finally get to see if this lives up to its hype soon. Ive no real problem with tegra 3 since nearly every "high end" android game of today is optimized to run well on this SoC(not to mention this is an improved version of tegra 3). I personally think this is the best thing to have for emulators(playing on a tv with a controller is the best way to play snes games). hopefully this will have a strong indie following.

for the people saying this is for "phone" games, well this isnt really for phone games. its for android games, which is similar but different. the games on this are not running with a touchscreen UI, they use a controller.

theres also the other tiny market this may target, which is the hackers. Im sure this console can be raspberry pi-ified somehow. theres possibilities with this platform. I hope it succeeds and that it spawns some innovations.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
For $99 this thing could have the best price/value ever. We'll see what happens.
Sometimes Im in the need of quick meaningless gaming and not deep world Skyrim...
Conclusion: I have faith in this...

LordConrad

Distinguished
I'm excited to see just how much this little box will do, being an open platform and all. Who cares if it's not the best... it only costs $99 and it's easily hackable. I'm scheduled to get mine in April.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]I'm excited to see just how much this little box will do, being an open platform and all. Who cares if it's not the best... it only costs $99 and it's easily hackable. I'm scheduled to get mine in April.[/citation]

What most people aren't seeing here, is that it has Jellybean 4.1 Android. This means the OnLive app will work, and Emulators for Playstation, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo etc. Plus, you can connect an external USB hard drive for storing Roms, Videos, Music, Etc.

$99 for a game system, with a Quad Core 1.7GHz Tegra3, 1GB of System Memory, 8GB of internal storage, and a wireless controller. I don't see how people can complain about that!

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]I still think it's a shitty product. They could have put something like a dvd player with it, maybe even a better chip with discrete graphics.[/citation]

No one uses a DVD player anymore...besides it runs XBMC!

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
if they hack it so it can run your games from your Google Play account and Amazon prime apps account then I'll get this for sure. But I'm not repurchasing my games I already own just to play it on this box.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]if they hack it so it can run your games from your Google Play account and Amazon prime apps account then I'll get this for sure. But I'm not repurchasing my games I already own just to play it on this box.[/citation]

You can side-load ANY apk application. Confirmed by the early backers who have a dev console.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'm still curious to see where this fits. I can see this being the "disappointing" birthday gift from grandma for kids who wanted a Wii-U, and a dust collector for anybody who owns a moderately powerful PC. Doubtful that somebody who owns a 360 or PS3 would go for this.

It's an easy in for somebody who wants to game but doesn't have the cashflow for a "brand name" console. Coders who themselves want to make games are sure to pick one up, and perhaps tinkerers will want to get it as a cheap PC to install android or linux on, if that's possible.

In the end it will be the games that separate it, and decide if it's just another failed attempt to dethrone the champion(s) like so many failed consoles of the past, or a true contender, with fresh ideas, that will have a full library of games worth playing.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I always like hearing people make the argument that the "limitations" of Tegra 3 are not an issue simply because you don't have to worry about battery or small packaging, so you can clock it up as necessary.

Are there any indications that the T3 used in OUYA is significantly or even moderately clocked up from, say, a tablet?

*It's NETWORKED BASED:
- few people have the bandwidth required
- network delays from interaction to when screen updates
- streams like Netflix so you'll have to PAY if you go over your limit
- PS4 will also stream (so if you get a PS4 don't get this too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS