Ouya Team Now Working With Nvidia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]ethaniel[/nom]So, I assume nobody is interested in putting a few emulators inside that console (from the most greatest gaming platforms ever made), watching 1080p video, listening some good tunes, and having the chance of turn it into a computer (if you want), for 99 bucks. Okay...[/citation]

Actually there are some emulators for android, so in theory right from the start you will have emulators (Nes,Snes,Master System, Mega Drive, Game Boy......)

But I'm actually inclined to think that this gaming platform although being android, it will have it's own custom version in order to improve it's gaming capabilities

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I hope they make sure there is a SATA connection. 8GB just isn't enough + HDD/SSD storage won't have much influence on performance and system characteristics anyway.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]tntom[/nomthe hardware can be upgraded at any time like a PC. I other words when Tegra 4 comes out....No!...Problem upgrading the system.[/citation]

SOC = System on a chip

Tegra 3 is SOC - in other words NO, you can`t upgrade it in any way!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Most of the posters here are missing the point. It runs android, it may not be blessed by Google, but there will be a way to install the app store on it. Once that happens then you have a $99 android smart tv add on, that also plays games and comes with a controller. Since its android, it automatically has driver support for Bluetooth keyboards and mice. So if you want a cheap home computing device just to keep up on Facebook, watch YouTube videos and browse toms hardware, then it doesn't' get any cheaper.

There are plenty of non game related functions that I can see this taking on that are well worth the $99 buy in, this is why I have happily handed over $100 to this project.

I just hope someone makes a kinect hack for it. :)

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So if you want a cheap home computing device just to keep up on Facebook, watch YouTube videos and browse toms hardware, then it doesn't' get any cheaper.[/citation]

Raspberry Pi.

$25.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Raspberry Pi.$25.[/citation]
Add a Bluetooth controller, power cable, micro hdmi cable, usb wifi and sd card to that and you just went over $100 for a system with under a quarter of the power and no housing/ case.
This really is one hell of a deal.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]tegra 3 is too weak for a console imo.[/citation]
For a 99 dollar open source console, playing Android games? I'm fine with a Tegra 3, I hope this takes off.

G

This console is not competing with ps and Xbox, it neich market they are tapping into. Benefits of this console is being versatile you can have great media player, emulators, games from ouya devs and probz be rooted to use google play, if system is rooted it won't be able to use ouya gaming feature it all options. Look at roku and boxee, apple tv they cost 99 bucks and nowhere near ouya features.U

G

Who knows, it is quite possible that these restrictions could create an environment here programmers must come up with more inventive ways to maximize polygon counts, potentially making the next idTech game company. Sometimes, limitation can spark expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS