News Over 1,000 games using generative AI content are already available on Steam — But are any of them worth playing?

Apr 1, 2020
If you're worried about your rights as a consumer, game ownership, and game preservation today, you'll be a lot more worried tomorrow.

You have no rights, you don't own the game, and "game preservation" means a re-release every few years for more money.

Generative AI can potentially disrupt the labor market for artists, writers, voice actors, and other skilled workers who help make video games worth playing.

Generative AI also quite more likely means all the ambient NPCs, creatures, environment, and other aspects that they don't spend any time on whatsoever will actually become an appreciable part of the game, and the human developers can spend their time on main characters and aspects. AI also quite possibly means a large percentage of major bugs which plague modern games upon release and often months after are found and squashed before release so you can actually fully enjoy your game from day one.

I think you're more worried that AI will replace "freelance writers" whose only job seems to be to find things posted elsewhere and post that content on other sites without proper citation, credit, or monetary compensation, the same thing Google, Facebook, and others are facing the heat for.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Instead, imagine the best single-player RPG you've ever played — complete with immersive AI-backed NPC conversations — and remember that that game will cost thousands of dollars yearly to keep functioning. Major publishers can't be trusted to maintain multiplayer servers for more than a few years — why would this be any different?
That's a cloud problem, not an AI problem. I wouldn't trust a game that has a simple login or chat online to be maintained through the ages by any big corp.

If the AI runs locally, especially with all the CPUs with NPUs comming, then that's not an issue anymore.

I would like to see more clever uses of AI in games. One simple example that could sidestep an ethical issue is to hire voice actors to do the main story lines, and pay them extra for the rights to have their voices simulated by AI for random encounters, small NPC comments, even on procedural quests.

Put AI on single-player competitive games, real-time content generation and destruction, storylines and dialogue, even cutscenes. Remain moral and ethical, keep everything local, and be creative. That is all.

Reactions: Order 66

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Toms article title: one thousand games caught using AI content!!!!!
You reading: they used AI to.creare the art for advertising

I don't even know why Im still reading articles in this website. Guess today was the last one, moving on to a serious journalistic one.

Reactions: scottsoapbox

peterf28

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
That's a cloud problem, not an AI problem. I wouldn't trust a game that has a simple login or chat online to be maintained through the ages by any big corp.

If the AI runs locally, especially with all the CPUs with NPUs comming, then that's not an issue anymore.

I would like to see more clever uses of AI in games. One simple example that could sidestep an ethical issue is to hire voice actors to do the main story lines, and pay them extra for the rights to have their voices simulated by AI for random encounters, small NPC comments, even on procedural quests.

Put AI on single-player competitive games, real-time content generation and destruction, storylines and dialogue, even cutscenes. Remain moral and ethical, keep everything local, and be creative. That is all.

I read "real-time content generation anal destruction" ... I should stop visiting certain websites