Overcloaking an Athlon

G

Hi, I m just starting to think about o/c my AMD k7-650 classic, been doing it with a P-75(120) and 133(180)mhz a long time ago just by switching jumpers.

Got myself an Abit KA7-100(updated to raid), and so far with FSB a got to 702mhz, not sure if stable bcause my SB live starts freeking out in Starship troopers once in a while, so i left it to 650.

The CPU comes directly from AMD that i bought from a reseller program at 79$ 9 months ago.

What s the best way to o/c that chip(stable) without opening the case. I have 1X128 megs (PC-100) and 1X64megsPC-133) generic, should i get rid of the mem and buy good brand memory, what s the best mem on the market?

Thanx
Syngard

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'd say get new ram. well...mabey it'll work. i'm supprised at the number of people on here who use generic ram with athlons. some of the original reviews i read before i bought my classic were that it'd tear through the generic stuff in under a week.

i don't have your board so i couldn't tell you if you can o/c it without cracking the case (i think you might have too). i found a url for tweaking your mem though.
http://www.athlonoc.com/ka7tweakguide.htm

good luck

G

Yeah, the Abit is really easy to o/c. When i got the AMD there was pretty much only the AMD 700 chipset series, so they gave me a Biostar board and i could not put PC-133 on it, i didn t red much about the AMD at that time so i didn t even knew there was compatibility problems with it.
I even had trouble getting memories to work good with it.

I ll check the pages you send me.
Thanx

G

hello
i have the abit ka7-100 board and an 800mhz athlon, i got mine up to 980mhz, i bought a TD2 from www.highspeedpc.com, but to use it you have to open your case and crack the plastic shell off of your cpu, but it's not that hard to do and the paper that comes with the TD2 tells you how to do it. if you go to use this device you don't have to remove the plastic shell like the instructions tell you, looking at the front of the cpu on the left side top, is the debug port under the plastic with a small hacksaw go in an inch from the end of the shell and cut down just enough to get thru the plastic and with a razor blade cut the front of the shell under the little rise at the top enough so the plastic will snap when you pry it forward, that'll give you enough room to plug the TD2 into the debug port. crank the speed up slowly and if it wont post slowly bump up the voltage, and you should load and use the health monitor program the comes with the board.
hope i helped and happy o/c.
wickedlester

G

Great, hope you updated the bios and put 2 HD in raid mode with that.

I looked at the page for the TD2, looks great, but cost some penny, i suppose i don t have any choice but to spend about 70$(CAN) to gain 200mhz and some more for crucial memory to get some more mhz and stability.

So now i have the option of the TD2, water cooling, bios o/c,.. if i use all that would i be able to get my 650 to 1200mhz??? 8)sike

Thanx