Question Overclock 2400mhz RAM to match the specs of other modules of the same brand and type, but with higher frequencies

pedro1865

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
I have recently bought a pair of Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 2400mhz CL15 modules, and I intend to overclock them to 3000mhz or more. I was taking a look at the specs of other HyperX Fury modules with higher frequencies, and apparently, there's no difference in the way they are built, in the components which are used, the heat dissipation, or even voltage, the only difference is the timings. So I was thinking of changing my 2400mhz modules timings to match the same values as the 2933mhz, 3200mhz or 3466mhz Hyper X Fury modules, if possible without having to change the voltage, so that I could get the same performance as more expensive HyperX modules. Is this possible? Is there a difference between HyperX Fury modules of different speeds that stops me from doing such a thing? Thanks in advance.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No pretty unlikely. There are differences between most 2400mhz kits and 3000mhz kits, mainly the RAM IC chips that are used , or the binning of those IC chips. You could probably get a bit past 2400mhz say 2666mhz with that kit if you play with the timings a bit, but 3000mhz is very unlikely without drastically increasing the timings and it certainly wont do that at 1.2v.

Good luck with that! The likely hood of being able to push 2400mhz DIMMS to 3000 is slim. Even just a couple of straps past stock. Think about it. Otherwise everyone would just by the 2400mhz DIMMS and OC them. Kingston would just be doing themselves out of money. Like a lot of PC hardware (CPU/GPU chips) ram chips are also binned. Those that are better will be used for fast OC modules, like 3000, 3200 etc etc.

For 2400 typically the voltage is 1.2v. For 3000+ the voltage is normally 1.35v. Those lower speed DIMMS possible wouldn't take 1.35v.

I've 2400mhz generic Crucial DIMMS. I have them running at 2733mhz flawlessly. How i did this, was to turn all timings onto auto, leaving voltage at 1.2 and selected the mem speed I wanted (first off testing at 2666mhz). test with memtest86+ for stability. Then I pushed it to the next strap 2733and tested again, with 4 passes of memtest86+. Once I passed the testing, then I wanted to tighten up timings. They were on auto. So I dialed in the loosest jedec timings for the DIMMS (CPUz) When I entered those manually, I had a crash. So then had to give a little more juice , 1.25v. This allowed me to get 2733 stable with CL19 timings and other timings pretty close to where they should have been. It's a trial and error process. Takes time.
Your goals are too lofty in my estimation.

Last edited:

pedro1865

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
Thanks for the help guys! Yes, I was thinking about that, it would be too easy and also nonsense for Kingston to allow such a thing, but at the same time, I know there are some few exceptions in which you can "upgrade" your hardware to match more expensive ones of the same brand. GPUs are a whole different story, but for instance, the AMD 6950 2GB could be flashed using a 6970 bios and unlock extra shading units, getting basically a higher grade GPU for free, about 30% improvement in performance. I thought that a huge improvement like that could also be achieved somehow with RAM of the same type and brand.