Overclock CPU further with new GPU & general advice please

Jun 2, 2018
Question: Will my GPU upgrade allow me to overclock my CPU higher?

I read that GPUs will take load off the CPU, does that mean I can overclock my CPU a little higher or just means during gaming my CPU won't need to be used as much, but can't overclock it higher?

General advice: I'm working on overclocking to get my system up to date for gaming again with modern games as this system in close to a decade old (Battlefield 1 (& 5 in Oct) specifically, any other AAA games)

Current rig is old:

CPU: i7 2600k
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43
CPU Voltage: 1.28v
CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 44x100
Clock Speed: 4.4 ghz
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600
Cooling: Antex 900 case w/ 5 fans/air cooling
CPU-Z Validation: https://valid.x86.fr/qt8017
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 550Ti
Monitor: Planar 27in PX2710MW monitor 60hz 1080p 2ms

Tomorrow I'm receiving my EVGA 1060 GTX SSC 6GB which obviously will be a monstrous upgrade from the 550Ti, so had me curious on my overclocking potential and will this generally put me in good shape for gaming. My 4.4ghz overclock being stress tested is 77C max on core2, of the 4 and appears stable at 1.28v (crashes at 1.27v mid-stress).

Any of your valuable time to give advice is greatly appreciated so my gaming can go a long way with my current rig. Recommendation on settings or concerns.

My first time posting on this site, greets.

Kook

yes, you can OC your GPU to get the max performance out of it, not a problem at all. every card is different so nobody can just give you the correct OC for your card. you'll have to find that out on your own its easy though. download MSI afterburner and MSI Kombuster. in MSI AB you will be able to adjust and monitor your GPU. a reasonably go OC for a card like that might be +175 core clock and +400 mem clock on the high ebd of the spectrum. start low like +75 core clock and +150 mem clock and increase a little at a time until you are stable. each time you increase the clock values stress test it with Kombuster, its that simple if your OC is unstable Kombuster will crash but it's ok until you figure it out

Jun 2, 2018
Thanks for the GPU OC instructions. I’ll be using that definitely! I knew they could be OC but not how, so that will be helpful.

It’s my fault if I made my question confusing. The first question was if my CPU can be OC higher than 4.4ghz just because I have a more powerful GPU.

Jun 2, 2018

Ok so I got my 1060 GTX SSC card, installed and working properly doing benchmark and mild overclocking starting with 75 base/150 mem. I'm new to MSI Afterburner/Kombuster and practicing stress testing with Kombuster. I ran "GPU core burner v2 (Furry PQTorus) and got around 1900ish mhz core and 4000ish mhz mem.

Temperature maxed out around 78-78C, while Afterburner has it set to 83 as the max, which is good. Power usage however is maxing out going between 98-105% and Kombuster flashes saying GPU Power maxed when it goes past 99%. Is that normal? Does this mean I need to turn down the overclock, or increase my power voltage since I haven't touched it from the 100%?

Thanks!