Question Overclock Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohit_Ajay123

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys, I recently bought a second hand LGA 775 motherboard for my intel core 2 quad CPU since my previous LGA 775 board died :(

Anyways, coming to the issue. When i try to overclock my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU @ 2.83Ghz(stock speed) to even a mere 3.00Ghz and then save and exit the BIOS, the computer automatically turns off after that and when I start the computer again, the BIOS just reverts back to default optimized settings. It's definitely not a temperature issue or anything and im sure of it as i have monitored the temps at stock speeds for long durations and this is just a mere 130mhz boost in clock speed that i am trying to achieve. The funny thing is, if I try a CPU UNDERCLOCK, the same thing happens. So it's definitely not a temperature related cause. There is no issue when i change and save and exit the BIOS when im changing settings in the BIOS that are not related to any sort of overclocking, just an FYI.

My full PC specs are:-

CPU-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz(Stock manufacturer set speed)
CPU Cooler-Cooler Master H410R(Red LED)
GPU-Zotac Geforce 9800GT 1GB GDDR3 Synergy Edition
RAM-2x2GB Corsair XMS2 RAM @ 800mhz each

Motherboard-Gigabyte G41M-Combo(P.S:- I know this motherboard is not recommended for OC'ing but even a 130mhz overclock? leave overclock, even underclock causing the same issue, it should be able to handle atleast that much. Other people with the same board haven't had this issue so...just saying :/)

PSU-Cooler Master 600W Power Supply
Monitor-Viewsonic vx2235WM
Storage-120gb Kingston A400 SSD, 120gb Western Digital IDE HDD

Would love to know why this issue is occurring and would like to fix the issue.

Appreciate all of your inputs/help in advance,
Thanks.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://globalamericaninc.com/manuals/2801560.pdf

= = = =

Noted:

"I know this motherboard is not recommended for OC'ing but even a 130mhz overclock." [My underline.]

From physically numbered Page 31:

"Note: If the system cannot boot after making and saving system changes with Setup, the Award BIOS supports an override to the CMOS settings that resets your system to its default.

Warning: It is strongly recommended that you avoid making any changes to the chipset defaults. These defaults have been carefully chosen by both Award and your system manufacturer to provide the absolute maximum performance and reliability. Changing the defaults could cause the system to become unstable and crash in some cases. "

= = = =

Comparing to "Other people with the same board" is probably not a fair comparison. The system must be looked at as a whole and not just a single component.

Also no way to know what has happened to that second hand LGA 775 motherboard.

How old is that PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, or video mining?

GPU installed?

Disk drive(s): both are too small for systems running Windows - not relevant per se to OC but again you must consider the entirety of the build.

Bottom line: even if OC is somehow achieved that motherboard may not survive the consequences.

Plus, it is not likely that OC will really add any meaningful gains in performance.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: Rohit_Ajay123

Rohit_Ajay123

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
This motherboard?

https://globalamericaninc.com/manuals/2801560.pdf

= = = =

Noted:

"I know this motherboard is not recommended for OC'ing but even a 130mhz overclock." [My underline.]

From physically numbered Page 31:

"Note: If the system cannot boot after making and saving system changes with Setup, the Award BIOS supports an override to the CMOS settings that resets your system to its default.

Warning: It is strongly recommended that you avoid making any changes to the chipset defaults. These defaults have been carefully chosen by both Award and your system manufacturer to provide the absolute maximum performance and reliability. Changing the defaults could cause the system to become unstable and crash in some cases. "

= = = =

Comparing to "Other people with the same board" is probably not a fair comparison. The system must be looked at as a whole and not just a single component.

Also no way to know what has happened to that second hand LGA 775 motherboard.

How old is that PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, or video mining?

GPU installed?

Disk drive(s): both are too small for systems running Windows - not relevant per se to OC but again you must consider the entirety of the build.

Bottom line: even if OC is somehow achieved that motherboard may not survive the consequences.

Plus, it is not likely that OC will really add any meaningful gains in performance.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Hey, thank you for your response. I was referring to this motherboard btw:-

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-Combo-rev-14

I understand the points you have made. I know a 130mhz overclock would not add any meaningful performance gains in this case and all your points seems fair and valid to me. Although, i still don't understand why manufacturers provide OC options if it was not supposed to work anyway?

Also as i mentioned that even UNDER clocking the CPU is causing the BIOS to just reset. Would like some insights on this specific part of the problem if you don't mind.

The PSU is 10+ years old 😅 it's been mostly used for gaming :)

The above mentioned GPU(9800GT) is installed throughout.

Rohit_Ajay123

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
It seems that you are having trouble overclocking or even underclocking your Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU @ 2.83Ghz on your recently purchased LGA 775 motherboard. After changing the clock speed and saving the settings in the BIOS, the computer automatically turns off, and when you restart, the BIOS reverts to default optimized settings. You have ruled out temperature issues as you have monitored the temps at stock speeds for long durations.
It's odd that even a small 130MHz overclock or underclock would cause the same issue. As you mentioned, the Gigabyte G41M-Combo motherboard is not recommended for overclocking, but it should be able to handle at least a small overclock.
One possible reason for this issue could be that your motherboard's BIOS is not compatible with your CPU. You might want to check if your motherboard's BIOS is up-to-date and supports your CPU's clock speed. If not, you could try updating the BIOS to a newer version.
Another possible reason could be a power supply issue. While your Cooler Master 600W power supply should be enough to handle your system's power requirements, it's worth checking if it's working correctly. You might want to try a different power supply and see if that resolves the issue.
Lastly, it could be a problem with the motherboard itself. Even though other people with the same board haven't had this issue, it's possible that your specific motherboard is defective. In that case, you might want to consider returning it and getting a replacement.
I hope this helps you to identify the issue and find a solution.
Exactly my point :)
my PSU is definitely enough but ye it was purchased back in 2008 or something haha. The BIOS is already up-to-date as well. But ye, thank you for your help(to the other person as well) and I hope I can find out the cause and resolve the issue.

Overall, thank you(to both of you) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS