[SOLVED] Overclock non-k skylake

Nov 12, 2019
Hello guys
I have an I5 6400 currently at 4.2MHz 1.34V. I've found a modded bios on the net and so far it all worked just fine for my expectations. I just have few questions that might resolve a couple of doubts am having lately. Since 4 years ago i still had CPUs for the old 775 socket and i wasnt following any kind of news at all, it didn't came to my mind that intel would have made the whole k, non-k thing and i just went for most affordable brand new skylake i could find. Only then when i decided it was the time to oc a bit i found myself stuck with a bios update that didnt allow non-k oc and have already abbandoned skyoc. After some researches I've found this site where some guy has posted modded bios for z170 mobos, thing is, the bios revision for my mobo is quite old. I was wondering, does anyone know if there is some kind of updated modded bios? If not, I've tried to search around about how to manually mod a bios by myself but i could only find the needed tools and not some explanation/tutorial. Do you know if there is any? Last question. Since with my current bios doenst allow me to obtain any core temperature reading (sensors stuck at 100°C) and i only have available a temp reading named PECI, is it accurate and trustworthy as intel sais?
Thank you for your time, any advice is well received. (and sorry if my English looks bad, it could be worse 😂)

Solution
The only place you'll find any info on modded bios is the Dark Web. Bios is proprietary software of intel/amd and it's 3rd party vendors like Ami and Phoenix, so breaking into a bios is a personal thing like rooting a cell phone. Borderline illegal.

The 6400 as such was a 3-legged, old blind dog of a cpu and should never have been released by Intel. It was beaten every which way til Sunday by the i3-6100 except in 4thread heavy apps where usage exceeded @ 80%.

Honestly, id return to a stock bios, sell the 6400 and either bump upto a 6500 or go all out for a 6700/7700 (k) for its 8 thread capabilities and far higher boost clocks. You'll find them cheap 2nd hand.

1 wrong line of code and you'll brick the bios and have 0 clue where...
Nov 12, 2019
Hello guys
I have an I5 6400 currently at 4.2MHz 1.34V. I've found a modded bios on the net and so far it all worked just fine for my expectations. I just have few questions that might resolve a couple of doubts am having lately. Since 4 years ago i still had CPUs for the old 775 socket and i wasnt following any kind of news at all, it didn't came to my mind that intel would have made the whole k, non-k thing and i just went for most affordable brand new skylake i could find. Only then when i decided it was the time to oc a bit i found myself stuck with a bios update that didnt allow non-k oc and have already abbandoned skyoc. After some researches I've found this site where some guy has posted modded bios for z170 mobos, thing is, the bios revision for my mobo is quite old. I was wondering, does anyone know if there is some kind of updated modded bios? If not, I've tried to search around about how to manually mod a bios by myself but i could only find the needed tools and not some explanation/tutorial. Do you know if there is any? Last question. Since with my current bios doenst allow me to obtain any core temperature reading (sensors stuck at 100°C) and i only have available a temp reading named PECI, is it accurate and trustworthy as intel sais?
Thank you for your time, any advice is well received. (and sorry if my English looks bad, it could be worse 😂)
I can't believe i said 4.2MHz instead of GHz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The only place you'll find any info on modded bios is the Dark Web. Bios is proprietary software of intel/amd and it's 3rd party vendors like Ami and Phoenix, so breaking into a bios is a personal thing like rooting a cell phone. Borderline illegal.

The 6400 as such was a 3-legged, old blind dog of a cpu and should never have been released by Intel. It was beaten every which way til Sunday by the i3-6100 except in 4thread heavy apps where usage exceeded @ 80%.

Honestly, id return to a stock bios, sell the 6400 and either bump upto a 6500 or go all out for a 6700/7700 (k) for its 8 thread capabilities and far higher boost clocks. You'll find them cheap 2nd hand.

1 wrong line of code and you'll brick the bios and have 0 clue where the error is. A bios is the absolute last thing you ever want to entertain messing around in as they aren't always replaceable. Brick the bios and you'll be replacing the mobo.

Solution