Overclock on i5 6600 non K - Power Consumtion

Todor_Yakimov

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
I saw that on the internet there are previous versions of bios that allows overclocking on z170 pro4 mobo, on non K skylake chips by changing the BCLK instead of the multiplier. My questions are will my power supply be sufficient for overclocking (slight overclock to 4,3Ghz ) this way and is it safe:

PSU - FSP 500w hyper
GPU - GYGABITE WINDFORCE GTX 1070 - OC +75mhz on core and +200mhz on memory (no Voltr % increase) just power limit from 100 to 106%
MOBO - ASrock Z170 Pro4
1 WD HDD - caviar blue 7200 RPM
2x8GB Kingston sitcks - 2133Mhz
2x120mm case fans
CPU - I5 6600 (non K)
also to the PC there are Razer Mamba TE and Deathstalker Chroma pluged in + razer firefly mouse pad

Solution

Your setup is great. Your peak draw at load comes...
Technically, 500W is sufficient since the CPU will not consume that much power.
your total system power consumption under load after any overclock is within 350watts
the problem is that your PSU is seems to be very basic (i'm might be wrong) and is not intended to power system like yours even without overclock.
I wouldn't risk it and regardless of overclock would get a better PSU.

Todor_Yakimov

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

http://fsp-europe.com/hyper-m-500600700w/ well this is the PSU. I've build my system like 8 days ago and since then i haven't seen any power issues (No crashes, blue screens or shutdowns are restarts)

That does not mean anything :)
There is no info from the sources I'd trust that have done the testing of this unit or at least had a look at the components and design.
The problem with lower grade components is that they have much shorter lifespan and lower durability. Especially under load (that's when they heat up).
So such PSUs have unpredictable behavior.
The voltage can be not stable - not really healthy for the components in your system.
The PSU can fail - may or may not damage other components in your system.
The above problems do not happen with high quality units (even with the same price tag).

Todor_Yakimov

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

What about what timeconsumer said, that it will be ok for low overclocks and that it's on par with Corsair CX, EVGA 500B ? I mean he posted a link to site where my psu was tested and said that it was mediocre ? The problem is that i just bought the PSU and i'm not sure if i can change it and i don't have the cash for a new one .

Well, we have to work with the information we have, which admittedly isn't much. How about a scope shot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgSaFALLB4 Peak ripple looked to be about 52mV, not lovely but not a deal-breaker either.

OP: In your shoes I wouldn't be afraid to attempt an overclock. I've done it with worse. Very few PSUs these days fail and take everything else with it. And FSP usually makes decent units. Even if it's group-regulated and chock full of CapXon I wouldn't be worried of it exploding.

Mediocre - means great for browsing the web and productivity.
It will work - the question is for how long and how well.
A good PSU is not that expensive, so you can do your overclock with the one you have, just think if you can find another (more suitable) use for this PSU and get a better one when you have a chance.

chenuki

Respectable
May 11, 2016

Your setup is great. Your peak draw at load comes well under the max continuous rated for your PSU. Besides, if you game with v-sync on it pegs your framerate to your refresh rate and both CPU and GPU will run below max load. Overclocking i5 adds about 20-30% consumption, about 15-20W extra, which honestly is very little, and this is at load. For reference, I have a i3-6100 OC @ 4.6GHz and total system power draw is just 65W at idle measured with Kill-a-watt, your i5 will be about 10W more.

Hope this helps.

Solution

That about +-5%

OC Wattage = TDP * ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) * ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2

Todor_2

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Btw a bit off topic but a friend has the same setup with a ASrock h170 pro4s, and http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170%20Pro4S/ here it says he can OC ddr4 ram , but in his bios (latest version 2.0.0) in OC/tweaker mode the overclock option is missing ? Any ideas ? He has Kingson Hyper fury x - 2133 CL14 2x8GB

It might be called different. or may be disabled until something like "manual" overclock is enabled.
At least in asus boards that is required to have option to tweak memory.
Also should be XMP something mode to use extended memory profiles of RAM kits.

Todor_2

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-TT7PW6mXo just the option in the video is missing. He has XMP enabled but this feature actually is advertised to boost from 2133 to 2800Mhz which his CPU can benefit from . And the bios for some reason is blue not red as in the video. He has the latest version and at ASrock it says that on this MOBO the feature is supported but nowhere to be found . The ram kits are stated also as supported.

chenuki

Respectable
May 11, 2016

Literature says it's supported on "certain memory sticks". "DDR4 Non-Z OC: Comfort, Sport, Sport+" To me, it sounds like it's a latency optimizer rather than the full OC feature.

Todor_2

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?id=3043 Well in this article it says its a 30% boost from 2133 to 2800

chenuki

Respectable
May 11, 2016

I have to say their wording and image placements make it more confusing than it should. I had to read it twice and my understanding is DDR4 OC is available on Z170 and only DDR4 Non-Z OC is available on H170.

It all starts with an Easter egg feature named DDR4 OC, which only appears in the UEFI of ASRock's Z170 motherboards if the user has installed certain memory modules, such as Kingston or Samsung DDR4 DIMMs. It unlocks the hidden power of your memory sticks, unleashing the memory frequency from 2133MHz to max. 2800MHz, providing up to a 30% boost!

But what about all of those non-Z motherboards? Shouldn't they be entitled for a little bit of overclocking excitement despite the fact that Intel® prohibits this by implementing hardware limitations? ASRock's answer is yes! And they've actually worked sorcery to break the chipset limitations, so here you have DDR4 Non-Z OC as well, the automatic DDR4 overclocking feature for B150, H170, H110 motherboards that can improve the performance of your memory.

Hope this helps.