[SOLVED] Overclock Ryzen 1600

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Hello, i have a big doubt about this. I've overclocked my Ryzen 1600 to 3.6ghz just to see it's perfomance at that frequency. It's at stock voltage. And I want to try 3.8 or 3.9ghz with stock voltage. My question is, what if voltage is not enough? Will I be able to enter in BIOS and restart settings or change voltage? Or Bios restore settings to default? Could happen something wrong?

Solution
If the oc is unstable, a number of things can happen.

1. if the overclock is very unstable, the system will not boot. You may get a beep or debug led. You will have to remove cmos battery or bridge clr_cmos pins on your mobo. Your owners manual will explain this.
  2. the system will boot but crash constantly. You will need to lower clocks or increase voltage.
  3. the system will seem normal or crash rarely, but then you will start to see corrupt files. You will need to lower clocks or increase voltage.

And then there is thermally stable.

Basically, what you need to do is overclock, boot and run prime 95 small fft for awhile, and monitor temps. If temps go above 80c or prime 95 shows hw failure, you need to change settings.
Hello, i have a big doubt about this. I've overclocked my Ryzen 1600 to 3.6ghz just to see it's perfomance at that frequency. It's at stock voltage. And I want to try 3.8 or 3.9ghz with stock voltage. My question is, what if voltage is not enough? Will I be able to enter in BIOS and restart settings or change voltage? Or Bios restore settings to default? Could happen something wrong?
Sorry to say but you will have to find that all by yourself because of variables like Silicone lottery and all that jazz. Start small and go up as needed and you'll also be limited by cooling solution, with good cooling you should be quite safe up to 1.5v.
If your OC is not acceptable to BIOS, most of the time it will default to factory settings but if it doesn't make sure you know where CMOS reset is, I have a feeling you'd need it a lot. I connected an old start button to CMOS reset posts and have it outside the case so no need to open it and dive inside every time I need it.
My BIOS also has ability to save 8 different settings so I don't have to redo whole OC again, I record every successful one.
PS. Forget about "stock voltage" it's variable betveen less than 1v and 1.5v+, depending on your CPU cooler.

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Thank you both. I'll try the highest frequency with stock voltage (1.25) because i don't have very good cooling.
So, I'll try with 3.7. Then 3.8. How I recognize that it's not stable? It will not boot? It will boot but then blue screen?
Could happen I will not be able to enter the BIOS to change settings? Or Pc could not "beep" or something? Im afraid of that

1. if the overclock is very unstable, the system will not boot. You may get a beep or debug led. You will have to remove cmos battery or bridge clr_cmos pins on your mobo. Your owners manual will explain this.
  2. the system will boot but crash constantly. You will need to lower clocks or increase voltage.
  3. the system will seem normal or crash rarely, but then you will start to see corrupt files. You will need to lower clocks or increase voltage.

Basically, what you need to do is overclock, boot and run prime 95 small fft for awhile, and monitor temps. If temps go above 80c or prime 95 shows hw failure, you need to change settings.

Solution

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019

Thank you!

Einherjar25

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Thanks. I have other questions as I am trying to OC my 1400. If I start back to default. What would be the best logical way to proceed? Should I first move the CPU to 3300 for example, then test. Then 3400, the test, etc.... If it becomes unstable, raise the voltage? How much of an increment the voltage should be raised by? I have never done that and I am not sure if 0.1 is alot or am I aiming more for increments of 0.01...