[SOLVED] Overclock the 2700x

Jul 25, 2020
So I have a R7 2700X and in games it stays around 3975 MHz, in videos I've seen it do at least 4025.
I would need help with overclocking and stuff because there's a lot of options in the BIOS I don't really understand what exactly they do.
The motherboard is MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.
I also tried enabling Game Boost which does boost it to 4150 but I've heard it adds a lot of unnecessary voltage.
Right now I only have XPM profile 2 enabled.

Solution
So I have a R7 2700X and in games it stays around 3975 MHz, in videos I've seen it do at least 4025.
I would need help with overclocking and stuff because there's a lot of options in the BIOS I don't really understand what exactly they do.
I also tried enabling Game Boost which does boost it to 4150 but I've heard it adds a lot of unnecessary voltage.
the difference between 3975 and 4025 is so minimal that you wont see any difference between them.
In general overclocking ryzen cpu's dont actually bring you much more performance over the stock clocks.

If you really want to tweak around with overclocking i'd suggest for you to do it manually in...
the difference between 3975 and 4025 is so minimal that you wont see any difference between them.
In general overclocking ryzen cpu's dont actually bring you much more performance over the stock clocks.

If you really want to tweak around with overclocking i'd suggest for you to do it manually in bios and not using a game boost since it adds alot of unnecessary voltage as you already know.

with a 2700X you can try and use a voltage of 1.3 to 1.35 if you want to overclock, the lower the voltage the better the thermals which means you can try and use a lower voltage, lets say 1.275 but the stable voltage is not same with all chips, some may only need that 1.275 while others may use 1.35 to remain stable.

However if you dont want to mess around with the voltage yourself i can assure you that you are not missing alot because as i already said, ryzen cpu's usually dont benefit that much from a cpu overclock but they do like high frequency ram with tighter timings. So if you want the best performance i'd suggest leaving the stock clocks and messing with the ram more.

The best balance for me with my 2600 was leaving the cpu at stock clocks and adjusting the voltage lower than stock and then just tightening my timings.

Solution
Aug 6, 2020
It took me one month until i get the best gaming performance on 2700x. First i needed to replace the cooling, the factory cooler sucks. I bought an arctic liquid freezer ii 240, but it works perfectly with better air coolers also like noctua nh-d15. I suggest to buy a nice samsung b-die memory as well at least on 3200 MHz, and use the ryzen dram calculator to get the perfect timings.
In bios i left almost everything on default, except the memory timings and disabled High Precision Event Timer and SMT, which gave me a huge performance boost in most of the games. Don't bother with benchmarks, they are showing better performance with SMT, but in games - like assetto corsa competizione, so not just the older ones - i got 8-10% less fps. Of course, if you are not using the machine for gaming, turn on SMT.
Another thing: don,t use PBO, if you turn it on, it will result frame drops. I play in VR, so it can be painfully.

You can overclock the CPU in bios, but i don't recommend it for 24/7. Therefor i suggest to use ryzen master to apply the overclock only when it's necessary. My safe settings are the following:
Core speed: 4200 MHz.
CPU Voltage: 1,3875 V
Unfortunately you can't disable SMT with ryzen master.

The cpu temperature rarely goes over 70 C, usually stays under 65.

Another thing. If you use other power profile than power saver the CPU temperature cycles with 10C threshold at idle, which makes the CPU lifespan shorter, so i suggest to switch it to power saver mode if you don't need much processing power (like browsing, etc).

I hope it helped.

It took me one month until i get the best gaming performance on 2700x. First i needed to replace the cooling, the factory cooler sucks. I bought an arctic liquid freezer ii 240, but it works perfectly with better air coolers also like noctua nh-d15. I suggest to buy a nice samsung b-die memory as well at least on 3200 MHz, and use the ryzen dram calculator to get the perfect timings.
In bios i left almost everything on default, except the memory timings and disabled High Precision Event Timer and SMT, which gave me a huge performance boost in most of the games. Don't bother with benchmarks, they are showing better performance with SMT, but in games - like assetto corsa competizione, so not just the older ones - i got 8-10% less fps. Of course, if you are not using the machine for gaming, turn on SMT.
Another thing: don,t use PBO, if you turn it on, it will result frame drops. I play in VR, so it can be painfully.

You can overclock the CPU in bios, but i don't recommend it for 24/7. Therefor i suggest to use ryzen master to apply the overclock only when it's necessary. My safe settings are the following:
Core speed: 4200 MHz.
CPU Voltage: 1,3875 V
Unfortunately you can't disable SMT with ryzen master.

The cpu temperature rarely goes over 70 C, usually stays under 65.

Another thing. If you use other power profile than power saver the CPU temperature cycles with 10C threshold at idle, which makes the CPU lifespan shorter, so i suggest to switch it to power saver mode if you don't need much processing power (like browsing, etc).

I hope it helped.
Those are about same results I got with my 2700x on this same MB except I went a bit different way about it. I set 42 as multiplier and voltage to 1.35 + LLc directly in BIOS which drove voltage up only when needed, It's abit easier with SMT disabled but I need it for more than games.
Why don't you just make same settings in BIOS as you have with RM, I don't trust SW alone.

Aug 6, 2020
Those are about same results I got with my 2700x on this same MB except I went a bit different way about it. I set 42 as multiplier and voltage to 1.35 + LLc directly in BIOS which drove voltage up only when needed, It's abit easier with SMT disabled but I need it for more than games.
Why don't you just make same settings in BIOS as you have with RM, I don't trust SW alone.

I use my computer for 2-3 hours of gaming and 8 hours of working and putty doesn’t need much CPU power, so i don’t want the cpu to be overclocked while it’s not necessary.

What are your concerns with software oc?