Overclock your non-K 1151 Processor

dylanestrada

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
You can easily overclock a non-K Skylake processor right now, it's quick easy, and saves you a ton of money.

Here's my personal evidence:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6-spxOUQVxWmNIU21CM1ZCTHM/view?usp=sharing

I'm getting 4.3 ghz on my i5-6400, with voltage at 1.265. I'm using a z170 AsRock pro4s (which is necessary, one of the only mobos with bios that lets you change the BCLK).

I've been stress testing it repeatedly on CPU-Z, with no complications.

If anybody wants some pointers on overclocking your non-K Skylake CPUs, just google it, there are plenty of helpful guides online right now (it seems that the Brits are definitely taking advantage of this ability.)

Solution

Well most cpus were able to be overclocked by the baseclock/FSB, I used it on 486 cpu's till intel linked the base clock to the pci-e clock around the Sandy Bridge gen IIRC.. What the motherboard makers are doing is adding a separate clock generator to the motherboard to allow them to manually adjust the base clock now that it can be separate on Skylake platforms.. I think the regular Sandy Bridge could not be meaningfully overclocked by base...

dylanestrada

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I'm not even sure if these temperature readings are accurate, that's one of the problems of overclocking through the BCLK, but I've been feeling the temperature of my exhaust and it's wayyyyy cooler than my FX 6300 overclock at about the same value.

Plus these Skylake cpus are incredibly efficient with the volts they get, it's kind of beautiful.

dylanestrada

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015

I just recently found out about this and it blew my mind, but this was also possible for a while with the Sandy bridge era CPUs right?

Well most cpus were able to be overclocked by the baseclock/FSB, I used it on 486 cpu's till intel linked the base clock to the pci-e clock around the Sandy Bridge gen IIRC.. What the motherboard makers are doing is adding a separate clock generator to the motherboard to allow them to manually adjust the base clock now that it can be separate on Skylake platforms.. I think the regular Sandy Bridge could not be meaningfully overclocked by base clock (Sandy Bridge-E is a different platform).

Solution