[SOLVED] overclocked gpu problems

Nov 20, 2020
i have evga gtx 970 ftw and a couple months ago i got this pc and thought nothing of it and overclocked it. it didnt add more fps so i thought it just reverted the settings. now in some games my gpu makes a loud noise when it pulls off high framerates and it has bad input delay (keep in mind i reset every setting that has to do with overclocking it.) now i get less fps on warzone and so its unplayable and i went from 300 fps in lobby on fortnite to 200 so i have no clue what to do, please help!

specs:
i3 7100
evga gtx 970 ftw
8gb ram
500b ps
asus prime b250m-c motherboard

Solution
Loud noise is from Coil whine (spitting out framerate makes that noise).
What you had is bad overclock ,
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/guru3d-display-driver-uninstaller-ddu,26203.html

Also to give you an idea, Download GPU-Z you will see brand of your memory (to expect how much can you overclock) and under advanced tab select memory timings and scroll down.
There you will see max supported overclock for your memory on GPU.
For instance my max is 2000Mhz i wont go over it since it will be useless, you need custom Vram timings to get better perfomance, cause the error controller on memory is keeping it from doing funky stuff (you may see that by downloading hwinfo and running...
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/guru3d-display-driver-uninstaller-ddu,26203.html

Also to give you an idea, Download GPU-Z you will see brand of your memory (to expect how much can you overclock) and under advanced tab select memory timings and scroll down.
For instance my max is 2000Mhz i wont go over it since it will be useless, you need custom Vram timings to get better perfomance, cause the error controller on memory is keeping it from doing funky stuff (you may see that by downloading hwinfo and running it in sensor mode and at bottom look for GPU memory errors).

For best to get overclock is always test out in furmark or unigine valley or similar to these benchmarks (note Furmark can really push your GPU).
If you want to test stability always run 1H benchmark loop to be sure that it wont crash while playing games.

Reactions: jacob62339
Solution
Nov 20, 2020

For instance my max is 2000Mhz i wont go over it since it will be useless, you need custom Vram timings to get better perfomance, cause the error controller on memory is keeping it from doing funky stuff (you may see that by downloading hwinfo and running it in sensor mode and at bottom look for GPU memory errors).

For best to get overclock is always test out in furmark or unigine valley or similar to these benchmarks (note Furmark can really push your GPU).
If you want to test stability always run 1H benchmark loop to be sure that it wont crash while playing games.
thank you it worked