Overclocking 101 for the Gigabyte DS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ukulele

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Hi, seems like there are experienced overclockers amog you so I'd like to ask a question but first my system specs:

MB: 965P-S3 (rev 3.3, F9 bios)
CPU: E6300 (with Arctic Freezer 7 Pro)
RAM: 2x DDR2 1024MB 800MHz TRANSCEND CL5 JetRam
GPU: Radeon 1950XT

Ok, here's my problem. All my overclocks (including 2.8GHz, that's about 400MHz, haven't tried more) are rock-solid, but there's one big problem: almost everytime I reset my system (using OS reset function), it won't POST - monitor stays in suspend mode and the system evntually shuts down and starts with default clock values. I can overclock it again, boots with no problem, then I restart, system reverts to default clocks etc. etc. I tried various settings but I don't know what can be causing this. It even happens with 350MHz FSB overclock - when my RAM is running far below specified 800MHz... Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I've seen that happen before, and had it happen to me a couple times. I just bumped up vCore 2 notches and it was good to go after that. Give that a try and it *should* solve the problem.

Blatwurst

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I've followed this guide with my E3420 and my DS3, and am having seemingly good results thus far. I'm at 3.28Ghz (410 fsb). I had to bump my ram voltage up to 2.0 to avoid Prime95 errors. I've run this setup for more than an hour with no errors. My core temps are 50-54C. But....

My ram is REALLY HOT! I can't touch it for more than about 5 seconds. This seems too hot to me.

I've got G.SKILL 800, which is supposed to be good for 1100 or more. Why is it running so hot? Am I doing something wrong? I've followed the guide, only having touched the fsb and bumped my cpu and ram voltages a bit.

Any informed help would be appreciated.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I know some RAM gets hot, and quite frankly I don't know why some more than others. I know that some heat spreaders are more efficient though. Personally I'm a nut for cooling.....I have a RAM fan actually, it's an OCZ XTC RAM cooler.....there's also one by Corsair that is quite good and recommended.

If you can ghetto-rig a little fan on your RAM then that should do the trick....a small 80mm fan and some zip ties or elastic bands will work. Won't be purty be she'll keep ya happy! ;)

Or a RAM cooler for $20........

Blatwurst

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Hi Skyguy (you a pilot?). Thanks for the great guide. It got me overclocking my rig quick like. And thanks for the reply.

Here's some more info...

I'm running 4x1GB sticks. I tried taking two of the sticks out, realizing that since the second pair butts right up against the first, the two have to be feeding on each other. This is significantly better. In fact, if I'd had it this way to begin with, I think I wouldn't have even worried about it.

So, I can see three options....

1) Put a cooler on my 4x1GB.

2) Be happy with 2GB (a bummer...I'm a programmer, so I CAN use that extra ram)

3) Get 2x2GB sticks

In addition to higher cost of option #3, it sounds from some of what I've read online like 2GB sticks are slower than 1GB sticks. Is this true? If so, will I really notice? Also, will 2x2GB sticks run considerably cooler than 4x1GB?

TIA for any info

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
The finer points of RAM is not my specialty, however, I'll do my best......

The best, cheapest, fastest solution is for you to spend $20-$25 and get a RAM cooler. OCZ XTC and Corsair Dominator coolers are my best suggestions....both are great, effective, not very loud, and affordable. $25 is ALOT cheaper than going to 2x2 gigs RAM.....which will cost you $$hundreds. So honestly, that's your BEST solution, no question.

As for the other personal enlightenment and knowledge questions......I believe 2x2 is slower because they don't have as tight timings yet as the 1 gig sticks. Honestly though, unless you're a total benchmark whore or like to brag, the differences in performance will be negligible except in synthetic benchmark applications. So if someone can afford 2x2 then great, others 4x1 will work just fine. Any overclock will more than compensate for the minor performance loss, and ESPECIALLY more than stock speeds, so it's really arguing a moot point in my opinion. For most users, most of the time, on most programs, you'll never notice a difference except in your bank account. ;)

Hope that helps.

But just get a RAM cooler, no need to cripple yourself with 2 gigs, and no need to blow your paycheck on 2x2 RAM. $25 is a much better option.......unless of course you want to donate the difference to the "Help Skyguy get a Quad Core CPU" fund ;) LOL.

Blatwurst

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks Skyguy. I ordered the Corsair cooler. I also ordered a fancy sink for my northbridge. I'm hoping that those, along with my Tuniq 120, will give me more heat headroom to see what this E6420 can really do.

I'm currently at 3.28Ghz. I ran a pair of Prime95s overnight (10+ hours) with no errors, and my core temps never going over 50C. I did that with only two of my ram sticks installed. I'm not going to run all four until I get the cooler.

Any suggestions as to if I should bother to go higher, and if so, how much? Should I try to find the absolute limit for a stable system, or should I be happy here where maybe I still won't wear out the parts too fast?

One suggestion on your guide. In my case, my ram timings were right on the sticks and were better than your suggested timings. You might want to mention that if you know your suggested timings, you just use those.

Thanks again!

Steve

hbjlee16

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Hi,

I overclocked my 6400 to 3.23ghz, 405FSB * 8

System info:
2xOCZ platium ddr2 800 mhz, timing 4 4 4 15
Vcore 1.375V
DS3 rev3.3
MCH voltage is raised to +0.1V
Vcore temp = 62 ~ 65 C under 100% stress for 1 hour +
features turned off on this board to reduce nbridge stress.

I ran prime95 for 44 hours and failed at both Vcore=1.3625, and 1.3685
So i raised my vcore to 1.375 to see if it will last more than 44 hours.

I pretest the ram with mem86 for 24 hours at the 405mhz frequency and there was no errors. The dual prime95 were Small FFT so the stress on the ram should be minimum. The hardware failure that caused prime95 to fail is unlikely to be the ram.

Do you guys have any suggestion as to why raising the Vcore voltage twice did not help? and why prime95 failed twice at approximate 44 hours?

Thanks'

pjsallday

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I have patriot extreme pc 6400 cl 4. ds3 mobo rev. 1.3 6420 processor.
I built my computer and everything was awesome. I was able to get me fsb up to 400 without any vcore up at all. so 3.2 ghz was not unheard of but damn good. Now my system will not oc at all the ram will oc ok. Please let me know if any of you have heard anything. Thanks all.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Won't OC? What happened??? Try clearing CMOS/removing battery and restart from scratch. I hope you wrote down your settings somewhere???

pjsallday

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I have done that. I reset to safe defaults in the bios first then I reset the cmos. I'm lost. I guess I'm gonna have to rma it.

pjsallday

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Ok everything is resolved. I reset the bios again and everything is back to normal. I had a lot of random restarts so maybe that messed with some of the config in the bios. It runs at 400 x 8 with no vcore raise again. Thanks all and sorry for the alarm.

obeewaan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
hey guys
just to keep updated, I raised FSB to 356 x 8 = 2.8xxx now.
45 C idle and Load (Orthos) 60.
V core at 1.375.

I like to lower V Core, but it wasnt stable earlier.

So, what V Core are you guys running at ?

P-S ; I want to keep this PC for a couple of years :D
before the chips die from overheating.

dps_kane

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
did my first OCing tonight, mainly following this guide :)

my hardware setup:

E6600
GA-965P-DS3 (rev 3.3, F11)
2x 1024MB GSkill 4-4-4-12, 800MHz
XFX GTS 8800
watercooling CPU and NB

actually i'm a newbie in OC and water cooling so i would be glad about any tips you have for me :)

so... get to bios: disabled almost all features in the advanced bios setup for firsttime OCing except "no-execute memory protect", without this feature my motherboard does not pass POST normally (i.e. no single short beep).
as for MIB:
cpu fsb 366 (x9=3.3ghz)
ram: 4-4-4-12 at 732mhz (2*fsb)
pci e fixed to 100mhz
vDIMM is +0.1
vFSB is +0.1
vMCH is +0.1
vcore is 1.325 (a bit low maybe?)

i tried until 380 fsb yesterday and got nice super pi results with it, however prime always had failures so i reduced. right now i have the setting above and prime fails again but after 25 minutes, passing the first test, failing the second. so i have to do some changes again...

actually i wonder HOW one does this back & forth - is there a rule of thumb which changes to apply next if prime fails?

and another point: my temperatures. i think they are too high for a watercooled setup, but i am not sure (as said, i'm a newbie): ~35° idle, up to 54° under prime95 load (25 minutes was max until now).
this is too hot, isn't it?

i would like to push the sytem to 3,5ghz if possible, maybe even further (>4ghz? that would be awesome! ^^), althoug wusy advices to loosen RAM timings in such a case.
but i am not sure how to adjust settings for the next step - especially if otheres reach FSB 400+ with almost normal vcore - i think i do something wrong...

BambisRevenge

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Skyguy, ive ordered my E6600, P965-S3, 2x Kingston Value Select 667mhz

Im planning to OC it moderately: people said that with that RAM I can get it to 333 FSB to get a 3.0 OC on stock cooling. Ok Im not aiming to get that for sure as I think I'll need to get lucky for that. Im not going to buy 800mhz RAM as I can get that 667 RAM for the same price as 1 stick of 800 where I live so guys please dont suggest to buy 800mhz.

Now my question is: You said that the strap exchanges are like 266 333 400 etc, now could I just set my FSB to 332? so it will be under the strap exchange of 333? Also could you please clarify on what kind of OC I could get with that RAM and what kind of problems I might face with 667 RAM and if it is possible to go over 333 on the FSB?

Thanks
Greg

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Just set your FSB ultimately to 330. That's "almost" 3.0ghz.....splitting hairs on the negligible speed difference, so no worries.

667 RAM on a 9x multiplier of the 6600 should let you hit 3.0 without problems. The ONLY thing is that you may need to juice up the vDIMM a bit....maybe. But at least get it to spec.....so if it's 1.9v then you'll need +0.1 vDIMM. I don't know offhand what your RAM is rated at, so just check.

You should hit 2.6 ghz without even touching volts. I'd say 3.0 would require a bit of increase. vCore might need a couple notches up from stock, vDIMM might need +0.1v (again, depending what your RAM is rated for), and maybe MCH +0.1v. So, your setup should let you hit 3.0 without problem......PROVIDED you have some decent cooling. Again, an aftermarket heatsink is ideal.....maybe not absolutely necessary, depending on your ambient temps and what volts you end up at....but it is certainly helpful. And your northbridge stock heatsink will get quite warm, but in your instance I doubt it'll get really hot. A 9x multi at 3.0 isn't killer hard, so it shouldn't get too hot.

I suspect with those settings, you *should* hit 3.0 without any great troubles. But remember to check your temps! And always, always test for stability.

Good luck!

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Do you happen to know much about the FSB and pci-e voltage settings? In order to keep my DS3 from resetting my OC settings I did some research and ended up setting my voltages as follows:
CPU=1.35
RAM=+.2
MCH=+.1
FSB=+.1
pci-e=+.1

With these settings I am rock solid up to 3.2 (probably beyond, but I'm not greedy) and I can reboot all I want without losing my settings. My temps are all in the low 30's while idle so I happy with the results. Now I am wondering if I can lower some of these voltages, but I'm not sure what the FSB anf pci-e voltages are responsible for. My temps on my 6800 (don't laugh) are 37 at idle, even with it OC as it is, so I odn't think the pci-e voltage is hurting it too bad.

obeewaan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Do you happen to know much about the FSB and pci-e voltage settings? In order to keep my DS3 from resetting my OC settings I did some research and ended up setting my voltages as follows:
CPU=1.35
RAM=+.2
MCH=+.1
FSB=+.1
pci-e=+.1

With these settings I am rock solid up to 3.2 (probably beyond, but I'm not greedy) and I can reboot all I want without losing my settings. My temps are all in the low 30's while idle so I happy with the results. Now I am wondering if I can lower some of these voltages, but I'm not sure what the FSB anf pci-e voltages are responsible for. My temps on my 6800 (don't laugh) are 37 at idle, even with it OC as it is, so I odn't think the pci-e voltage is hurting it too bad.

I might try those numbers, thanks.
FYI, my E4300 at 356 x 8, it was passing 2 hours of Orthos, so I thought it's okay, and put PC in stand-by to record a HD program with installed HD Tuner card.
well, program didnt record, when I rebooted, it all reset.

Should I raise V Core more ? temps at Load 59 C.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I had the same issue as you before adjusting my FSB,MCH,and pci-e voltages. I could be dual prime stable overnight and as soon as I rebooted I would lose all my settings. My v-core voltages didn't seem to help. I found out that this a safety feature of the board if it doesn't agree with your settings on reboot. You'll notice that your OC settings are still saved but the manual FSB setting is reset to auto. After bumping my other voltages just a bit I can reboot no problem with all intact. My problem is that I'm not sure which voltage is the "magic" one that made me stable. I would like to lower that FSB and pci-e voltages back to stock since I'm not OC that much but I am so happy that I'm finally stable that I don't want to chance it. :D
This Tom's article made me feel better about my voltages.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/18/overclocking-guide-part-1/index.html

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Excellent response Scar, you beat me to it! You are exactly right, I've had the same thing happen. It was simply a matter of tweaking the volts. MCH, PCI, and FSB up one notch each and vCore to minimum 1.35 and it was happy :)

Great advice there!

obeewaan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
heres my latest

I'm now at 356 x 8 = 2.848 V Core 1.39 V. Load 62 C Orthos, stable.

62 C is too hot for me, I wanna lower Multiplier to 7 and raise FSB (To take advantage of my DDR 2 800 ;

say 399 x 7 = 2.793, minimal difference in speed, BUT MAYBE at a Lot lower V Core ??

Lower multiplier NEED Lower V Core, right ?
We know 8 needs less than 9, then 7 would need even less than 8 ?

thanks

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The multiplier itself doesn't determine the v core. However, a lower multiplier allows you to OC your FSB higher without having to OC your cpu as high. A lower clocked cpu would result in a lower v core. So yes, if you lower your multi you should be able to lower your v core as well.

Question, how well is that 8600 performing with your setup? I don't game near as much as I used to, but I'm looking to upgrade my old card soon.

obeewaan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Question, how well is that 8600 performing with your setup? I don't game near as much as I used to, but I'm looking to upgrade my old card soon.

thanks for your reply.
XFX 8600 GT is doing fine. I ran 3 D Mark 06 b4 OCing, scored 5xxx.
After OC, score went up 2 k to 7xxx, so, system speed is holding it back, I think.

I use it for mostly HD playback on my HTPC, and medium gaming.
Warning ;
If you plan to hook up to a widescreen TV, be aware Nvidia drivers on 8600 series wont let you make custom resolutions !
In my case 8600 underscan 6 lines, which I'm ok.

So far I am happy with it.
I might try to OC it soon. :D

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
So glad I ran into this post.
I just upgraded from a PD 945 to a C2D e6600. I've only really have the right environment for an overclock for less than a year. But since I had an Intel 965 board that was really the only thing holding me back. Even my PD at 3.4ghz was running cool though, usually under 40c idle. Other mobo temps even lower.
So I started to get tempted to want to overclock soon after, just haven't had the bios to do it.

I eventually recently tried clockgen which actually had my pll in the drop down list and I could actually OC my intel board! It worked too. And I could select from the few main frequencies and timings for memory in the bios, but that is about all that had to offer.
I was starting to think I might get away with a good mild overclock to keep me going for a while.

But when I restarted my computer the next day and tried clockgen again, I kept getting some pretty major crashes with it just by opening the program up or having it read clocks. Usually a freeze up and crash, or crazy artifacts and crash (and I know my 7600gt is plenty cool and not the culprit of these artifacts).
Don't know why it worked initially then crash city, but whatever. I still didn't and don't have my C2D installed yet, was just messing around to see what I might be able to do with the intel board while the PD was still in there to see if I could muster a stable OC out of it and avoid buying a new board.

Anyhow, long story short I got pissed after all that. I bought that intel board, and it is generally a solid board, just no OC, right around the time when C2D's were first coming out. Since myself or nobody I knew had one, and there wasn't so much info on them since they were just being released I had no idea they were going to OC as well as they do. Had I known I may have got another board.

Well, I broke down yesterday. This might cause me not being able to eat for a week, but I had to get myself a good mobo! There was a list of good ones here, a handful of them for the C2D. But that list had more expensive boards I wanted to buy, except 1.
The Gigabyte D3 (rev 1.3) was perfect. Great reviews, its highly regarded here, and it happened to be under $100 yesterday (a few $$ less than I paid for the intel board). The board was perfect for me, had everything I needed and the right layout. It looked really cool and most importantly, for an OC'ing board, it sounded pretty stable from what I read, which is important to me.
I don't need a $300 mobo cuz I'm not looking for high overclocks. I'm happy going as high as I can without buying any more stuff.

Can't wait til it gets here, it should be showing up here on Monday (damn I wish newegg allowed deliveries on sat or sun cuz I would of had it today!).
I'm anxious because I still haven't even opened the C2D box yet and I can't wait to crack it open. Definitely no point in throwing it in the intel for a few days, pasting it up, and taking it right back out.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everybody here for leading me to the right board for my buck and for all the documentation on it.
That is why I was so happy to see this post.
I am a noob, but only with cpu overclocking (OC graphics all the time). Considering I'm an OC noob plus I'll be tryout out a C2D and this Gigabyte mobo for the first time together, this info is really valuable.

Now the only thing I still feel left in the dark about is the RAM. I noticed in this guide that you don't even mention the whole ratio thing. I was really concerned about that (cuz I knew I probably couldn't get my fsb up to 400 on air cooling to match my 1 gig x2 Mushkin EM DDR2-800 RAM (which of course is 1600mhz, hence why I would need to get the fsb to 400 to get 1:1).

I heard mentioned here to keep the mem timings loose for noobs, or make them loose. I've heard people mention 5-5-5-15, but mine is actually 5-5-5-18 rated at 800mhz.
So am I fine just leaving my RAM at those timings. In fact, I was thinking of going along with this guide but actually dropping the 18 to 15. I heard that is a pretty harmless change to make, and those are still pretty loose timings.
Furthermore, I was thinking if I could push my total fsb to 1333mhz rather than 1600mhz, that that would be a good moderate OC. But the reason I want to get there is because I was thinking of dropping my RAM from 800mhz down to 667mhz with perhaps 4-4-4-12 timings (which I tried with my intel board and everything booted up and windows ran fine, so I guess I can do that).

And if I do that, I got an OC that I am happy with plus better RAM timings (which I assume is good because having the ram at 800mhz wouldn't be doing me any good). Others may want higher, but 1333 would be a great start for a noob OC'er.
Is this a good idea? Or stupid?
If there is even a chance of that causing a problem, no big deal if I have to stick with the ram as it is. I won't worry about it.

I also read something about how the 1:1 ratio thing is kind of dated, was more important in the past than it is currently. Maybe was more important because people had ram rated under their fsb speed and wanted to up it, while these days most people have ram speed high enough or too high.
I heard that, with the C2D's at least, that having the RAM one step ahead (as opposed to a 1:1 ratio) may be just as beneficial as the 1:1, perhaps even give more performance in some cases.

So I'm wondering what other people think about that. Underclock and tighten timings for 1:1 and the benefit of lower timings, or keep the ram as it is if you have ram w/ highe mhz than fsb (one step higher)?

Aside from that, I'll post an update here of how I do using this guide. I can't wait! This makes things much easier and will help me get familiar with the OC'ing and the board itself.
I'll probably have a question or two as I go alone, but I'm sure lots of people here have this board or similar bios that can help out.

Thanks!