Overclocking 2400MHz RAM in Ryzen 1800X System

jorosar

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Hi all,

I have an ASRock AB350M motherboard with a Ryzen 1800X. With it, I have some Neo Forza 2400MHz CL17 RAM (2x 8GB). The product code is NMUD480E82-2400EA10 but searching gives me little more than an Amazon page showing out of stock and the Neo Forza website which simply lists it as a product.

I would like to find out if it's possible to make my system perform better during gaming by overclocking my RAM (my CPU is already at what I believe is a stable 3.9GHz). I couldn't find any XMP settings option in BIOS (ASRock UEFI 5.7, latest version) so I had to try my best to find what settings I'd use manually.

Using Thaiphoon Burner, I found the manufacturer (Hynix), memory type (part number ended in 1FR so I tried "Hynix MFR" and "Hynix AFR" as options) plugged it into DRAM Calculator for Ryzen by 1usmus (1.4.0), input the DRAM Voltage and timings as suggested for a "Safe" setting. However, nothing I've tried so far will work, and I did notice the Frequency is set at 2666 MT/s minimum, with my RAM rated at 2400. I wonder if this implies there's not much I can do with my memory? Currently at 2400MHz, 15/15/15/36 with 55 tRC.

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

2400mhz is what your RAM is rated for and it is very unlikely that you will get any more out of it. If your RAM could go 2666, then it would be rated as such. There was a time when you could squeeze a little bit more out of RAM than was on the package, but the way RAM prices are now, those days are long gone.

You will see a bump in performance with faster RAM though. You could sell your 2400mhz kit and go buy a 3200mhz kit. You would eat a little bit of money, but not too much. I would not try to go for faster than 3200mhz, running faster than 3200mhz, regardless of the rating of the memory, is not easy on a b350 motherboard.