[SOLVED] Overclocking 3770k ?

Mar 27, 2020
Hello there,

I've had this cpu for almost 5 years now and i just upgraded to windows 10 a week ago, and i noticed that my cpu usage is almost at 90-100% half the time im playing, where i miss browsing firefox while waiting for my game to start, as of now its a bit slow.

i want to know if its worth it to overclock my cpu on this particular motherboard

thanks in advance
CPU:i7 3770k
motherboard : h61m-s2p
gpu : 1660 ti
ram : 16gb

Solution
You need a Z77 motherboard to OC that cpu. Sometimes you get lucky and can add a 400MHz boost to turbo speeds, but that's the extent of what's possible with an H series mobo.

I would chase down all of the motherboard chipset drivers and the last bios from the manufacturers website , Windows Creators edition (latest version of win10) wrecked havoc on many legacy drivers, especially audio and Lan, which resulted in massive slowdowns.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You need a Z77 motherboard to OC that cpu. Sometimes you get lucky and can add a 400MHz boost to turbo speeds, but that's the extent of what's possible with an H series mobo.

I would chase down all of the motherboard chipset drivers and the last bios from the manufacturers website , Windows Creators edition (latest version of win10) wrecked havoc on many legacy drivers, especially audio and Lan, which resulted in massive slowdowns.

Solution
Mar 27, 2020

do you figure that motherboard chipset drivers are the reason my pc is slow after win10 upgrade ? and what else do you think i should do ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start with bios and drivers. See if that changes anything. The i7-3770K is still a respectable cpu, I've had mine for almost 7 years now, it'll do the job. But will require a little understanding.

I use a little program called WinAero. Does wonders to making life simple on Windows settings. Bunch of performance tweaks, switches to turn off stuff like the windows store that I have no use for etc. Also run through your settings, high performance power plan, turn off Xbox dvr/game helper (junk and useless).

I upgraded to 10 last year, I'm slow too lol, it was culture shock. So many things I took for granted cuz XP and 7 were easy to navigate, like the control panel was easy to understand. The new "Settings" was designed for a teenage girl raised on iPhones. Totally confusing.

But start with the motherboard drivers, cuz right now you are using Windows generic substitutes, like trying to use Windows to drive a gpu. Doesn't work out so well. You want to use the ones tailored for your specific mobo. And you'll need the last bios to accommodate those changes on a 64bit platform, the original bios was better suited to 16/32bit.

Reactions: Already Late
Mar 27, 2020
Start with bios and drivers. See if that changes anything. The i7-3770K is still a respectable cpu, I've had mine for almost 7 years now, it'll do the job. But will require a little understanding.

I use a little program called WinAero. Does wonders to making life simple on Windows settings. Bunch of performance tweaks, switches to turn off stuff like the windows store that I have no use for etc. Also run through your settings, high performance power plan, turn off Xbox dvr/game helper (junk and useless).

I upgraded to 10 last year, I'm slow too lol, it was culture shock. So many things I took for granted cuz XP and 7 were easy to navigate, like the control panel was easy to understand. The new "Settings" was designed for a teenage girl raised on iPhones. Totally confusing.

But start with the motherboard drivers, cuz right now you are using Windows generic substitutes, like trying to use Windows to drive a gpu. Doesn't work out so well. You want to use the ones tailored for your specific mobo. And you'll need the last bios to accommodate those changes on a 64bit platform, the original bios was better suited to 16/32bit.

the problem with my motherboard is that its OLD, last bios update was 2013 and only found 4 drivers that have been released for win10, which is audio and lan and some intel stuff nobody cares about.

its really a shame getting slower performance when upgrading to a new version while having a good build, ill try some couple other things and hope for the best, and if you have more tips please let me know god knows i could use some.

and for the teenager iphone thingy, i hate that aswell so i installed this program first thing after installing win10 which is called ClassicShell, really gives you the good windows 7 look, give it a try!

thanks

Sep 3, 2020
Yes. My mobo is also old. A msi Z77 mpower and the last bios revision was 10/13. However, windows 10 and 7 are the same for most drivers, so you'd go with the win7 x64 (64bit) drivers for any that don't have a win 10.

Could you please suggest if I should be able to run higher speeds on my RAM or replace the dual ram modules with a higher speeds set with the latest BIOS update my MOBO now support 3000+mhz speeds

I'm running the following setup for past 7 years . ( I used overclocking presets suggested by the manufacturer no altering of voltages manually )

i73770k @ 4.2 ghz using default mobo overclock (can take it to 4.5 ghz but don't really need to . )

corsair vengeance RAM 2x8 =16 GB (10-10-10-27 ) @ stock 1600mhz overclocked to 1800mhz with default mobo settings (10-12-12-31) can go upto 1866mhz I believe never took it past that

motherboard : Asrock Z77 extreme 6 -- BIOS : P2.90A (05/04/2018)

I do also have a h100i cpu cooler if that helps

the overclocking values show upto 3000+mhz speeds supported in UEFI

====================================================================
99% sure that my current RAM won't support it . but two questions here .

will my CPU support higher ram speed in the range of 3000mhz ???

secondly what are my options for DDR3 ram available in year2020 at those speeds . ?

Please suggest

thanks