[SOLVED] Overclocking 9600k

Aug 17, 2019
Hi,

If I overclock my 9600k to something like 4.9GHz, is there a way I could get it to run at the base clock when idle and only go up the 4.9 when needed? Instead of it running at 4.9GHz all the time which could affect the life span of it?

Solution
If you leave speedstep on ( in the bios) and use Windows power profile, I'm sure that would work.

But it kinda negates the whole point of OC'ing your CPU. But just to be clear, you will find hardly any difference between your stock boost of 4.6 and an all core OC of 4.9. Some things will work faster (synthetic benchmarks etc), but not much else. In gaming it would translate to just a few FPS, game dependent. Your chip at stock, is already one of the fastest gamers out there.
If you leave speedstep on ( in the bios) and use Windows power profile, I'm sure that would work.

But it kinda negates the whole point of OC'ing your CPU. But just to be clear, you will find hardly any difference between your stock boost of 4.6 and an all core OC of 4.9. Some things will work faster (synthetic benchmarks etc), but not much else. In gaming it would translate to just a few FPS, game dependent. Your chip at stock, is already one of the fastest gamers out there.

Solution
Aug 17, 2019

Cheers, appreciate it!