Overclocking a Core i7-920

Jun 1, 2013
Hello All,
I'm just looking for some guidance on the best way to overclock my system. I'm running stock at the moment but would like to get to either 3.5, or 4.0 if possible. I'm running the Core i7-920 on a Gigabyte UD3r v2 mobo. Any advice will be welcome, I've never OC'ed before, but I feel very comfortable working in the BIOS. Also, it might be worth mentioning that I will be installing a Corsair H90 140mm liquid cooling system in the coming days, so heat will not be an issue.

Solution
Have you read all guides and understand the risks? Back when I was using my i7 920, it was pretty simple w/ a few rules to follow. Your Uncore speed needs to be 2X your memory speed, and your QPI multiplier has to be higher than your Uncore. If I remember, I was running mine at 3.8 Ghz with only a few adjustments. I set Vcore and QPI voltage to 1.35v. I set RAM to 1.65 as that's what my kit used(probably timings from XMP). I changed the BCLK from stock 133 to 190. The CPU multiplier is locked at a max of 20, though I think you could go lower. For RAM, I kept the 2:8 divider so 1520 for Mhz frequency(190/2 * 8). For Uncore, multiplier was 16, and QPI was 18 for a DDR speed of ~ 6.84GT/s. I think these are the bulk of my...
Have you read all guides and understand the risks? Back when I was using my i7 920, it was pretty simple w/ a few rules to follow. Your Uncore speed needs to be 2X your memory speed, and your QPI multiplier has to be higher than your Uncore. If I remember, I was running mine at 3.8 Ghz with only a few adjustments. I set Vcore and QPI voltage to 1.35v. I set RAM to 1.65 as that's what my kit used(probably timings from XMP). I changed the BCLK from stock 133 to 190. The CPU multiplier is locked at a max of 20, though I think you could go lower. For RAM, I kept the 2:8 divider so 1520 for Mhz frequency(190/2 * 8). For Uncore, multiplier was 16, and QPI was 18 for a DDR speed of ~ 6.84GT/s. I think these are the bulk of my settings, but again it's been years since I had this setup running. I was using a large aircooler at the time. I keep speedstep, C-states, ect. disabled and left the frequency at 3.8Ghz of load. I ran my 920 this way for 2 yrs or so. I sold it at that point, and it's actually still in use today(back at stock speeds) and running fine.

Solution