Overclocking a GPU

carshateme

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I was reading a lot of threads here, but I am a little less knowledgeable as what half of them are talking about. I remember someone told me a while back when attempting to overclock your gpu..there's a general rule you try to follow. Every 100mhz you increase on your GPU clock offset, you increase the mem clock offset by 50. Is this right or wrong? Thank you for your answers.

GPU is a Evga Geforce GTX 970
PSU is Corsair CX750M

Solution
my GPU's memory will increase quite a bit more than my core. it depends on your card model, your specific chip, your cooling methods, and other aspects. the only way to know for sure is to do each separately and test until you get graphical errors, freezing, crashing, etc.
once those begin you should start increasing the core voltage slightly. using MSI Afterburner, maybe a couple (mV) at a time until these errors/anomalys stop. eventually you will get to a point with both the core and memory where no voltage increase will stop them. then revert back to the last working MHz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340404-33-wolfram-overclocking-guide
Most vendors already overclock their cards, so you should try smaller steps with the RAM. You're not likely to get a lot more out of the card if it is already overclocked.

First tune the GPU clock as high as is stable, then tune the RAM speed till it is stable.

my GPU's memory will increase quite a bit more than my core. it depends on your card model, your specific chip, your cooling methods, and other aspects. the only way to know for sure is to do each separately and test until you get graphical errors, freezing, crashing, etc.
once those begin you should start increasing the core voltage slightly. using MSI Afterburner, maybe a couple (mV) at a time until these errors/anomalys stop. eventually you will get to a point with both the core and memory where no voltage increase will stop them. then revert back to the last working MHz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340404-33-wolfram-overclocking-guide

Solution