[SOLVED] Overclocking a Ryzen 5 1600 with a stock cooler

Hi,I was wondering if overclocking was possible on Ryzen 5 1600 with its stock cooler.If it is how far should I go and is it safer and easier to overclock in BIOS or in Ryzen Master?
Also some tips for overclocking RAM will be appreciated :)

Solution
Hi,I was wondering if overclocking was possible on Ryzen 5 1600 with its stock cooler.If it is how far should I go and is it safer and easier to overclock in BIOS or in Ryzen Master?

Do you have an AF 1600? they're actually based on the Zen 1.5 process like Ryzen 2600, not Zen 1. Look on your box and look at model number...it should end in AF, or AE if based on Zen 1. What you can do overclocking-wise varies depending on that. Also, the stock cooler for a 1600 has almost nil cooling capacity (a 1600 is very chill at stock) so you definitely need to upgrade that first.

Tips on overclocking RAM... first update BIOS on your motherboard. Exactly which depends on your...
Apr 6, 2020
Overclocking with the stock cooler is definitely possible, but you wouldnt be able to push it very far due to the heatsink/fan not being super reliable. Personally I use bios settings, i've never tried Ryzen Master.

With RAM OC I dont push mine past factory limit just to play it safe but on my MOBO (B450 Tomahawk) theres several options for OC in bios, with failsafe restarts.

Do you have an AF 1600? they're actually based on the Zen 1.5 process like Ryzen 2600, not Zen 1. Look on your box and look at model number...it should end in AF, or AE if based on Zen 1. What you can do overclocking-wise varies depending on that. Also, the stock cooler for a 1600 has almost nil cooling capacity (a 1600 is very chill at stock) so you definitely need to upgrade that first.

Tips on overclocking RAM... first update BIOS on your motherboard. Exactly which depends on your motherboard, if a B350 for instance you'd try to avoid Ryzen 3000 BIOS' for the most part.

Second: download something called Ryzen DRAMCalculator and Taifun Burner. You'll need them. Then watch this video that shows how to use it to best effect. Keep in mind he's tweaking-up memory on a Ryzen 3000 which is different and with a very much improved memory controller can get much higher clocks. But the process works very much the same.

This is also why it's important to know if your processor is based on Ryzen 2000 or the original Ryzen 1000 series as that affects what settings you use to pick timings.

Last edited:
Solution