[SOLVED] Overclocking a Ryzen 5 2600x ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
I have a quick question
Is it safe to overclock ryzen 5 2600x to 4.0 Ghz with rog b450-f and coolermaster mwe 750 gold psu ?

Solution
OC in your BIOS.
There are some good Ryzen (Zen+) OC guides on the web, use them.
I would NOT OC with Ryzen Master or any other Windows software.

Also read this:

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
How do I know what the max voltage I can use for my mobo/CPU? All we can do is guess? My TDP of cooler is 210 and TDP of CPU is 95 (ofc I know overclocking will increase this)

Found this overclocker blog, he said this:

'The maximum CPU core voltage the B450 Tomahawk supports is 1.55 V which is considered overkill and could dramatically reduce the lifespan of the processor when left under 24/7 conditions and a maximum recommended CPU VCore of 1.45 V with adequate CPU cooling; I would recommend staying below 1.4 V for a good balance of core frequency, power draw and core temperature when using a decent CPU cooler.' Does this sound about right?

I'm also looking into LLC now. As it is also not really mentioned in depth in the sticky guide.

Last edited:
Yes the staying Below 1.4v is best.

As i was working my 2600x oc there is a point that increasing the core clock an extra .25 ghz took too much voltage increase for very little gain in the benchmarks.
So only you can determine if 1.47 @ 4.2g
Is worth a few extra cb points vs 4.125-4.150 at 1.37-1.3? ( voltage and ghz Just an Example )
See where that is going, did it take more voltage for a few extra points then what it's worth for cpu Longevity when you could end up with a little lower cb score with lower voltage and maintain longevity and lower temps.

On mine just because I could run Cinnabench didn't mean it could pass hrs of P-95 or hrs of Asus Realbench.
Thats where I lowered My Expectations and settled on good enough scores lower voltage / temps for Longevity as I knew I would end up using the 2600x on 2 more system upgrades.
That 2600x went into my son's till I got a 3600 for his then that 2600x landed in my wifes system and is running fine letting it do it own thing with Xfr2 enabled.

Check out buildzoid on LLC eventhough he is talking on a intel cpu it still explains what it is.
From what I have done on the 2600x and 3600x Ocing keeping LLC to level 3 has helped.
I ended up with Llc 3 + 140%current capability
@4.125g @1.35625v soc @1.10-1.12v for a stable 24/7 do anything you wanted with the system Oc with good temps in a room that had no A/c in the summer.
Ambient room temps where over 75f.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMIh8dTdJwI

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Yes the staying Below 1.4v is best.

As i was working my 2600x oc there is a point that increasing the core clock an extra .25 ghz took too much voltage increase for very little gain in the benchmarks.
So only you can determine if 1.47 @ 4.2g
Is worth a few extra cb points vs 4.125-4.150 at 1.37-1.3? ( voltage and ghz Just an Example )
See where that is going, did it take more voltage for a few extra points then what it's worth for cpu Longevity when you could end up with a little lower cb score with lower voltage and maintain longevity and lower temps.

On mine just because I could run Cinnabench didn't mean it could pass hrs of P-95 or hrs of Asus Realbench.
Thats where I lowered My Expectations and settled on good enough scores lower voltage / temps for Longevity as I knew I would end up using the 2600x on 2 more system upgrades.
That 2600x went into my son's till I got a 3600 for his then that 2600x landed in my wifes system and is running fine letting it do it own thing with Xfr2 enabled.

Check out buildzoid on LLC eventhough he is talking on a intel cpu it still explains what it is.
From what I have done on the 2600x and 3600x Ocing keeping LLC to level 3 has helped.
I ended up with Llc 3 + 140%current capability
@4.125g @1.35625v soc @1.10-1.12v for a stable 24/7 do anything you wanted with the system Oc with good temps in a room that had no A/c in the summer.
Ambient room temps where over 75f.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMIh8dTdJwI

I actually found that video on LLC in my research. very informative, however I can't find any LLC or Load line calibration in my BIOS OC settings unfortunately. I did manage to keep the 4.2 GHz to 1.45v below that voltage even 1.44 it crashed in cinebench. I do get your point that you need to run a proper stress test for like 8-24 hours to see if its fully stable like the long review on overclocking here. Thing is I would only use it temporarily anyway to speed up video editing or making video to dvds. and then revert back to un-clocked for every day gaming ect. But you'r eright about 1.47v being overkill probably was drawing a hell of a lot of power.

Although with all these new chips like 5000 series coming out its tempting to push my current cpu as I would like to upgrade at some point. Or may get a 3800x if they become cheaper with all the new tech coming out.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Currently @ micro center if you have 1 close if your here in the USA the 3700x is $279.99

But also know this the 3000 series needs less voltage then the 2000 for safe max voltage.

The LLC settings should be in your DIGI Vrm / power setting in Bios.

I'm in the Channel Islands so no micro center but I expect the prices to go down more as more of these 5000's are available as they blow 3000's out of the water. I found the LLC now it was under digitALL power goes from mode 1-8 so I guess I will go for 3 or 4. However should I even use LLC if i only temporarily use OC with Ryzen master for CPU specific tasks not for gaming?

There is a CPU NB loadline calibration control in the description it says 'sets one specific mode of CPU NB LLC under system full-load for getting good oc performance and stability' - so would this be good for my circumstances not OC'ing all the time? So when i do use OC and it goes full load the LLC will kick in? and under normal circumstances it will be inactive I assume.

Also set a safer overclock at 4150 at 1.36 seems to be stable so far. Thanks for the help btw :)

Last edited:
Cpu Nb
I have never messed with it so ????? And
Have never OCed with R M so mine have only been Bios Oc or Bios ppt,tdc,edc increase's then Xfr 2000 series and Pbo 3000 series along with the pbo enhancer, scalers.
I think my son's Msi b450 pro carbon ppt 380 / 395 ish tdc 230
Edc 230 , LLC L3 140% capability with his r5 3600 definitely boosting up above it's 4.2g boost clock on it's own algorithm.
That's not changing any voltage or clock speed as you would normally in a full Oc.

I can check my wifes (which has the 2600x now) and see what I have her ppt,tdc,edc limits at but I can't do that till fri or sat this next week. I think it's about the same.

That could be a possible route to take if
There is enough gains for your video work.

But anyway as you can tell now proper testing needs to be done.

Last edited: