Overclocking a TV?

BlueWonder

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Hey there everybody, it's me again looking for the go ahead to do stupid <mod edit> from an online community.

So my monitor died not too long ago so I'm using my spare 38' 1080p TV. I recently found out there's a thing called OCing your monitor and how have I not heard this in 4 years. Now how will I go about doing this without making my PC catch on fire along with my monitor? That's where you come in to tell how to not start a campfire using my hardware and doing it the right way! All seriousness though I need some assistance with this issue because 60hz is getting too "garbo" as the kids call it today and I need to see more buttery smooth FPS.

Any help is appreciated, again, thank you community of Tom's Hardware for keeping up with my stupidity and giving quality advice to help me out.

Cheers!

<Let's be watching our language is these forums>

BlueWonder

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Of course, there are some risks involved I get that XD. Just asking if my pc will set on fire is all. I could care about the lifetime because it's old and no one will buy it for how old it is. I just need it for another month or two until I can scrape up enough for a 1440p monitor. Going to try it anyways but will using HDMI hold it back from seeing that extra refresh rate? Will keep posted on what goes down.

Again, thanks again for the help!

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Yes hdmi would bottleneck your refresh rate. Hdmi only supports up to 60hz refresh rate. I have an asus 1080p 144hz monitor but it only runs 60 when connected via hdmi. Does your tv have any other display options? Dvi would be the best imo