Overclocking AMD FX 4300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I'm trying to get a stable overclock at 4.2 GHz. I've heard people saying they overclocked it to 4.8. I am using the stock cooler that came with it. I'll be getting the Cooler Master soon. I can't get it above 3.8 without getting a system boot error. I guess I'm setting the wrong values. I'm not completely new at overclocking. Anyway any help would be appreciate it. Please don't tell me to get the cooler first, I would like to know so when I get it I can do it right away.

PC SPECS
CPU: AMD FX 4300 3.8 GHz Quad Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Yes, everything on the bios is at default. I loaded optimized defaults, disabled turbo mode, went from 19 to 19.5 in cpu clock ratio. Booted windows, started Intel burn test at defaults, then a few seconds later it crashes into bsod error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I didn't see any but I wiped it with some isopropyl just incase, I'm going to try the burn again. But I have a question. What if it's the Intel burn test that is making me crash?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Before blaming IBT (which has been used successfully for years by thousands), I would suggest returning everything to stock settings again and running IBT again. If it fails with everything at stock, there must be some software or hardware issue at fault.

After doing that, then we can try another stress testing app, like Prime95.

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

It passed at everything default in bios and IBT
mHSwDzn.png

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Then I'm wondering if the board is defective... or if you are doing something you're not telling me. Because simply raising the "CPU Clock Ratio" by 0.5 should not cause IBT to crash the PC.

If you want, try again bumping it up to 19.5, but this time run Prime95. P95 has no set time. You run it for as long as you want. http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

No I'm not doing anything else. I'm going to raise it to 19.5 at everything default with the boost thing disabled using Prime95 for like 10 minutes or so. I don't know the actual time for it

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Your PC is screwed up. Got to be some failing hardware. Better not do any more OC'ing until you find out what is failing.

One last thing...
Try running IBT from safe mode. You may not be able to load any temp monitoring apps, but if you only take the multi up one click, your temps should be fine.

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
In safe mode, IBT got to 5/10 before giving me the bsod error. Apparently there's a problem with my hardware so could you help me detect what exactly is the problem?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not going to be able to fix your PC from here. Best to take it to a professional near you. The only thing I can offer is to suggest you change the PSU. Might not be the issue, but it is the only weak link in your system from what you've told me. I presume all the components you are using were bought new by you... not used? Not abused?

Yuno_Gasai

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Well I decided to try again and I cleaned the CPU pins thoroughly. I raised the cpu clock ratio to 19.5 and it passed. I raised it to 20 and then it crashed with the whea uncorrectable error. So I don't know if that is a accomplishment now.