Overclocking and Overvolting Questions

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
So recently, I’ve been wanting to overclock my system. And I did it for the first time yesterday using AMD Overdrive Turbo Core.

Now I know there’s tons of the same topic that revolve around this, but I believe everyone’s is truly different as everyone has different hardware.

Now as for my system, it’s a prebuilt, so it’s quite stock, the only thing I’ve upgraded is the Graphics Card as I’m building my own computer this Friday.

Now, yesterday I used AMD Overdrive for the first time, and I used Turbo Core to reach 4.1 GHZ with my AMD FX-6300. After that I wanted to try and get it up to 4.2 GHZ, however my system crashed right after doing that.

Basically I have a few questions, do I need to up my voltage in order to get more GHZ, and is upping the voltage dangerous? I just would really like to achieve higher GHZ.

That’s pretty much all I’m wondering on.

Solution
boosting cores speed alone on FX CPUs is pointless waste of energy.
The right way to get significantly more performance out of FX CPUs is:
1. RAM is running at least 1866MHz - DDR3 can easily handle 1.7v . Pay attention to timings - for 2133MHz should be CL12 (13 worst case)
2. CPU NB is at 2600MHz
those two will boost the performance way more than cores at 5GHz. The problem is that with many motherboards CPU NB multiplier has no affect on the actual speed or simply not present. So the way to overclock is to increase BCLK.

after you've done with those two steps you can increase the CPU multiplier (if you used BCLK increase, cores will already be faster).
safe core voltage limit is around 1.3-1.35v.

P.S.
Your case is not different...
boosting cores speed alone on FX CPUs is pointless waste of energy.
The right way to get significantly more performance out of FX CPUs is:
1. RAM is running at least 1866MHz - DDR3 can easily handle 1.7v . Pay attention to timings - for 2133MHz should be CL12 (13 worst case)
2. CPU NB is at 2600MHz
those two will boost the performance way more than cores at 5GHz. The problem is that with many motherboards CPU NB multiplier has no affect on the actual speed or simply not present. So the way to overclock is to increase BCLK.

after you've done with those two steps you can increase the CPU multiplier (if you used BCLK increase, cores will already be faster).
safe core voltage limit is around 1.3-1.35v.

P.S.
Your case is not different from anyone's else. above are just guidelines. do your reading on how to do that.
If you are not up to reading real overclocking forums and not prepared to spend hours (or even days) to find the correct settings - just buy intel next time.

Solution

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Alright, thanks for the help. And what about my voltage? I see three different things where my voltage is different.

In the basic menu, it states my voltage is 1.29V, and will ocassionally bounce around, yet in the clock/voltage menu it states my target voltage for CPU VID is 1.1875V and my current voltage is 1.2875V. Does that mean I can get more voltage out of it when I do overclock?

As i said earlier - doing your research is a part of the process. Simply googling these settings will explain their purpose, recommended values etc.
if you are not up to it, just leave it. read a book, watch a movie, do whatever until you buy an intel based PC that does not require brain to tune.
auto overclock will be bad idea. It usually pushes much higher than required voltages which might kill your motherboard and whatever else with it.

It didn't take much brain to tune and OC my Ryzen and wasn't any more difficult with FX 8350, don't need an Intel just because of that.
Automatic OC on that board is quite modest and will not let anything go over acceptable and recommended voltages. Not much gain but quite safe.

It depends on what you calling overclocking.
boosting CPU multiplier and voltage indeed does not require much of a brain.
proper overclocking that will give the best performance and yet stable and safe for 24/7 use for years do require a bit of a brain. even on intel.
with intel it is that default is way better than on ryzen and especially than FX.
the challenge is to understand the platform and deal with the weakest points.
For FX, especially 6 and 8 cores (and to some extent with ryzen) it is the memory subsystem (RAM + L3 cache + memory controller).
Well, that true for multi threaded workloads. Of course with single thread core boost is the most significant improvement.
Anyway, we are not here to discuss your or mine ability to overclock the fridge XD

IMO, OP have to do some learning by reading quite a few pages on overclocking PC components and understand what and why he is changing in BIOS.
Otherwise he can end up with unstable or even damaged/dead system.

And what will that do ? 0-3% at the cost of increased power consumption and heat ? Or may be decreased performance and stability as some MBs do some weird sh*t with auto OC.
OP wants to overclock - he needs to understand what that means and the challenges he is going to deal with. and then decide if it's worth his time/effort.