Overclocking: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Versus EVGA X79 FTW

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I currently own both a Rampage II Extreme AND a Rampage III Extreme. I had the problem with the Rampage II Extreme where all USB ports would go dark a short time after powering up - board replaced under warranty.

What I really dislike about the reviews here on Toms Hardware is the fact that I have to go through SO MANY web pages. I long for the days where the review would simply be on ONE LONG page. I guess the days of that are gone - the need for Ad Revenue outshines the original purpose of this web page, which was to provide information EASILY, QUICKLY, and EFFICIENTLY.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Sites must cover their costs. Or do you send money directly to toms as a thankyou for all the excellent information
they provide?

I have a Maximus IV Extreme, very good board, works like a charm. The only annoying thing ASUS has ever done
is not provide BIOS updates for certain mbd models.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
If you can afford it & relish what it would allow you to do based on its feature set, then sure.

For those who like the _challenge_ of oc'ing a CPU though, SB is too easy.

Ian.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Went from an Rampage III Extreme to Rampage III Extreme Black Edition to Rampage IV Extreme... Hope there's a Black Edition

Always a fan of Asus... Great for OC and killer gaming. Worth the 6k investment of all Asus products

LeadSled

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I run both the ASUS and the EVGA Classified with 3930K. The ASUS is able to reach 5.4Ghz and the EVGA 4.8Ghz. Even though the ASUS clocks much higher the performance is very close for example in 3DMark 11 the EVGA scores P12975 and the Asus scores p13030 with a pair of EVGA GTX570 Classified's ( OC 975 core and 2341 memory) in SLI. The ASUS will run the two GPU's at PCIe 2.0 but the EVGA will drop back to PCIe 1.1 on the second card half way through the testing and that happens in any benchmark or game that stresses the cards. The big difference between ASUS and EVGA is the tech support. The ASUS is none existent where EVGA will stop at nothing to correct any problem and for that reason alone is why I sell the EVGA and will not touch ASUS for a customer build.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]LeadSled[/nom]The big difference between ASUS and EVGA is the tech support. The ASUS is none existent where EVGA will stop at nothing to correct any problem and for that reason alone is why I sell the EVGA and will not touch ASUS for a customer build.[/citation]Really? Because my dealings with eVGA techsup have been horrific. Remember the bad run of Foxconn sockets around two years ago? EVGA has done its best not to warranty them and will even tell you that the issue never existed.

carlgh

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
ASUS is now synonomous with JUNK.

The biggest issue is stability and usability. I used to LOVE ASUS motherboards and built with them religiously, however, they stumbled on the Rampage II Extreme (USB would lose power) and even WORSE with the Rampage III (mobo won't boot without repeatedly hitting the Q_Reset button on the mobo which interrupts power to the cpu)... then, the EXACT SAME thing happened on a replacement mobo.

I can understand that they're not perfect, but the chance of getting TWO mobos bad like that SHOULD BE astronomically low. But, from EVERYTHING I've heard from system builders, many of us are moving AWAY FROM ASUS - lack of quality - lack of customer support - lack of knowledge of support staff - I could go on and on. ASRock seems to be replacing them. I think I'm going to try ASRock this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS