overclocking first 4790k

zachparr2442

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
like it says i haven't had an intel chip in about 8years. i know how to overclock and i have seen mult forums. but different forums say different things for some reason no one has a soild answer. Now my question is what are the maxs for this chip for Vcore, core temp all that stuff. i have seen 1.3v and i have seen 1.45 v for temp i have seen 70c,80c,90c and 100c. i understand while stressing the temps will be higher then what they would be in daily use. the setup i have is 4790k with asus z97-pro 16gb 2400 g-skill sniper and Enermax Liqtech 240 . i know i sound like a noob i know how to overclock i just want to know the maxs i can reach hoping to get 4.7-4.8 out of this chip and then work on oc my 980. sorry for the double spaces my keyboard is a little messed up. And also which software would i use for amd i used prime 95 and hwinfo and cpu z to monitor everything

Solution
If you're familiar with overclocking, then you know the majority of the stability issues in overclocking is the platform.

From what I read, the max temperature for the integrated heat spreader is 72.72C.

4th Generation 22 Nanometer: 4790K (TDP 88W / Idle 2W)

Standard Ambient = 22C
Tcase (CPU temp) = 74C
CPU / Core offset + 5C
Tjunction (Core temp) = 79C
Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

Intel Temperature Guide [TomsHardware]

• 80C sustained Core temperature is too hot.
• Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Minimum temperature I found was -120C before cold bug.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?289119

Voltage wise i think your limit is going to be heat related, but as shown in the last link...

zachparr2442

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
so there they where pretty much at 1.3v and 86c at 4.6 and 1.45v and 96c at 4.7. so which one is the max temps and vcore thats all im really looking for. i know i went on a little rant up there that was my bad.

zachparr2442

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
lol i have oc before mult times i know how to overclock i just need to know the maxs with temp and voltage what is the max temps and volts for the i7-4970k. I can overclock but i was mostly amd, until i came to korea and sold that system

That's why you go up in steps - to find out, for your particular CPU on your particular set up, how far you can go and the set-up remains stable.

Anandtech can give you an idea of how they went with their chip and set-up. But you have to test your own - to see whether you've won or lost the chip lottery.

zachparr2442

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
what is the unsafe voltage and temps for this cpu if that makes sense now. what are the safe voltage and temps. and i understand were you are coming for i do, but im nor sure if your understanding the question. How far can you push the voltage and temps until it becomes unsafe.

The problem with forums is people build in different safety margins as they don't want to tell you something and then you fry your CPU. All you can do is read what others have dome and decide what risk you feel comfortable. As you already know OC'ing isn't an exact science, whats safe on one chip might blow another.

zachparr2442

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Lets say i hit 4.8ghz at 1.4volts and a max temp of 85c. Running prime95 for 12hrs. And everything stable. Would these volts and temps be safe. And yes i understand that with prime95 it is a stress test so would likey never see that temp in real world use.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
If you're familiar with overclocking, then you know the majority of the stability issues in overclocking is the platform.

From what I read, the max temperature for the integrated heat spreader is 72.72C.

4th Generation 22 Nanometer: 4790K (TDP 88W / Idle 2W)

Standard Ambient = 22C
Tcase (CPU temp) = 74C
CPU / Core offset + 5C
Tjunction (Core temp) = 79C
Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

Intel Temperature Guide [TomsHardware]

• 80C sustained Core temperature is too hot.
• Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Minimum temperature I found was -120C before cold bug.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?289119

Voltage wise i think your limit is going to be heat related, but as shown in the last link, it depends on your cooling.

[editted minimum temp, regarding Factory settings]

Solution