Overclocking FX-8120 on an ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

GhostGamer

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am very new to overclocking and i am a little bit lost on how to do this. I tried setting my clock speed on 4.5 ghz and volt on 1.375 but when i ran Prime95 it crashed, so i pressed the power button to shut the PC down. When i touched the motherboard the capacitors (the silver things, you know what i mean), it was so hot i almost burned my finger. This is the cooler i have http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-039-AL. My ram is Corsair Vengeance 8 gb, 1866 Mhz i believe but im not sure. Can anybody help me out to do a full CPU overclock (not just the core clock) and tell me what i am doing wrong?

Solution
First of all your core max temp Has a maximum core temp of 61.1 Degrees Celsius. You should keep your socket temps to 70 degrees Celsius and under no more than 70-74 for a short time is not a problem. You overclock in the bios. NO software. Your Mobo is not the best for overclocking. It has a 4+1 VRM. 6+2 should be a minimum. 8+2 to 12+2
is where you want to really be. That said you can get about 4.5 stable. Do not expect more on you board. It is good to have a good sized mid tower with good air flow. Two to 3 fans (120mm ) in and Two to 3fans out 120mm or bigger.
You can go with what you got. You also need to start out at around 4.0 GHZ First. Get stable then go from there.Lower but no higher.
Start by studying this...

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012
First of all your core max temp Has a maximum core temp of 61.1 Degrees Celsius. You should keep your socket temps to 70 degrees Celsius and under no more than 70-74 for a short time is not a problem. You overclock in the bios. NO software. Your Mobo is not the best for overclocking. It has a 4+1 VRM. 6+2 should be a minimum. 8+2 to 12+2
is where you want to really be. That said you can get about 4.5 stable. Do not expect more on you board. It is good to have a good sized mid tower with good air flow. Two to 3 fans (120mm ) in and Two to 3fans out 120mm or bigger.
You can go with what you got. You also need to start out at around 4.0 GHZ First. Get stable then go from there.Lower but no higher.
Start by studying this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard
Then when you think your ready.
Go to this forum: these guys can help you better than me.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1139726/amd-fx-bulldozer-owners-club
Get back to me. I will help if I can.
You also may want to rig a small fan to blow over your Vrm's to the left of your cpu. But you may have done that. This will help with neat because of your low power phasing. Overclocking is a journey we you start. I have done a little . But I have studied and built computer's enough to know there are many who Know more . Most are willing to help.

Solution

GhostGamer

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I am running my rig now without case fans. I had one case fan but i put that on the radiator to increase performance. I am temporarily running the system with the side panel off because i dont have any case fans like i said. I also checked out the links you gave me and honestly i have no clue on how to do anything but increasing the multiplier and vcore. I am getting ridiculous temps (62 c in bios) and a "warning illegal sumout" in Prime95. I know that nobody likes this, but i would honestly rather have things on a cookie cutter template. I hope i dont sound like a d i c k but i am pretty confident that i wont be able to get a stable overclock by myself. I also dont know whats wrong with the temps as 62-63c is crazy when idling.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I think you need to stop where you are at. Go back to stock clocks. Then read and apply my previous post. You need a case that lends itself to good air flow for your gpu also. You need to drop back get a little self education them apply what you learn and get help from experienced overclocker's willing to help.