[SOLVED] Overclocking GPU RTX 2060 Mobile [Laptop]

Apr 9, 2020
[Need help]

I have an Asus Zephirus M, RTX2060, 16Ram, I7 9750H.
I did undervolted my CPU with ThrottleStop. [Succesully]
However, I try to overclock my GPU with MSI Afterburner.

The settings I am using;
Core voltage: No change
Powe Limit: No change
Temp Limit: No change
Core Clock: +155 Mhz
Memory Clock: + 300Mhz
Fan speed: No change.
(I can already see a very small increase in performances)

Questions;
First. [Core Voltage], [Power Limit] , [Temp Limit], [Fan speed] can't be amended as they are ocked down is it because I am using a laptop or because I should find a way to adjust them? And if I should find a way to adjust them what are the best % of voltage to increase?

Second. [Fan speed] is controlled by another app (Armoury Crate) and I set them to TURBO to increase the fan speed while gaming.
Is TURBO mode the best to increase cooling system or performance while playing or can I decrease the power?
(the noise doesn't bother me)

Third. What are the best voltage for [Core Clock] and [Memory Clock] Kindly note that those aren't lock , therefore, I increase the voltage for the [Core Clock] +155Mhz and the [Memory Clock] +300 Mhz

Please kindly help me to find the perfect settings to squeeze the best performance while keeping a stable system.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Second: I run a Scan and Test with Msi Afterburner, the scan revealed that my [Core Clock] can be upgraded to 155Mhz maximum and the [Memory Clock] is at 90% confidence for 300Mhz
Afterburner's OC Scanner ALWAYS says 90% confidence though. I used it a few times, but eventually gave up on it, because the proposed core clocks were too aggressive. It would pass 8hr runs of Asus Realbench... games were a different story.
I don't have a large library of games - I did observe the OC crashing in UE4 titles; lowering the core clock fixed it though.

maybe not undervolting the CPU and overclocking it.
Might have the opposite effect. On auto settings, these cpus by default, run higher voltage settings than...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Leave it alone. It's not worth doing in laptops.
Because the cpu and gpu share the same cooler, making the gpu run hotter will serve to reduce the effect of the cpu undervolt you've done.

1)They're locked down to cover the manufacturer's butt in case YOU screw up.
2)The cooler the gpu runs, the better. The gpu has a low 80w power limit.
3)0. It's locked anyway.

Apr 9, 2020
Leave it alone. It's not worth doing in laptops.
Because the cpu and gpu share the same cooler, making the gpu run hotter will serve to reduce the effect of the cpu undervolt you've done.

1)They're locked down to cover the manufacturer's butt in case YOU screw up. Ok
2)The cooler the gpu runs, the better. The gpu has a low 80w power limit. Does a cooler GPU increase FPS ?
3)0. It's locked anyway. I was able to increase the core and memory clock voltage tho.

Would you suggest to undervolt the GPU? If I do so that will not increase the FPS in-game but ensure that the engine is running smoothly am I right?

Do you have any advice to get better performance for gaming?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
Well yes, but didn't you say that the voltage was already locked?

(I edit the post to make it more clear.)
Actually the Core Voltage and Memory Clock are the only things I was able to increase.
the voltage for the [Core Clock] +155Mhz and the [Memory Clock] +300 Mhz

This manipulation already gives me a small increase of FPS and the GPU temperature is at 79* while gaming.

Apr 9, 2020
Yes.
Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpu's potential boost clocks are determined by power and thermal headroom. That's why, the cooler, the better.

What all did you do to test stability of this overclock?

First: I did a stress test with Kombustor and also run another benchmark to evaluated my temperature / see if the GPU was supporting the benchmark.

Second: I run a Scan and Test with Msi Afterburner, the scan revealed that my [Core Clock] can be upgraded to 155Mhz maximum and the [Memory Clock] is at 90% confidence for 300Mhz

Third: I play Call Of Duty Warzone without overclocking 1 hour but undervolting the CPU. And I was able to run the game in medium settings for an average of 70 FPS and 74* temperature.

Fourth: I play Call Of Duty Warzone with overclocking the GPU and combine the undervolt the CPU 1 hour.
I also increased the ratio size and quality of some in-game settings to have a better visual.
And I was able to get an average of 90 FPS and 79* temperature.
I also try to run the game in very low settings and I get an average110 FPS and 78*

Both tests were also used with TURBO mode from the fan speed and I added an additional pad cooling.

There must be a way to get even more FPS! Maybe entering directly to UEFI BIOS Utility and adjusting some settings or maybe not undervolting the CPU and overclocking it.

I am looking for the best result but I am already quite satisfied by the result I got...

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Afterburner's OC Scanner ALWAYS says 90% confidence though. I used it a few times, but eventually gave up on it, because the proposed core clocks were too aggressive. It would pass 8hr runs of Asus Realbench... games were a different story.
I don't have a large library of games - I did observe the OC crashing in UE4 titles; lowering the core clock fixed it though.

maybe not undervolting the CPU and overclocking it.
Might have the opposite effect. On auto settings, these cpus by default, run higher voltage settings than necessary, which is why many owners of gaming laptops eventually have to undervolt their cpus.
The manufacturer does this to guarantee stability for the advertised specs.
Blame silicon lottery. Because of it, there isn't a universal set of settings that will work for every cpu.

Unlike the Nvidia gpu, the Intel cpu doesn't care how hot it runs for max frequency operation as long as it's not hitting the thermal limit. The cpu could be at 95C/100C and it would still run 4.0ghz across all 6 cores.
Not good for the cpu in the long run, but I was just giving an example.
The 2060 will dial back frequency like every 10C up to the throttle point, or something like that. I don't know the actual interval threshold of these gpus.

Solution

revanthkr

Commendable
Sep 16, 2019
(I edit the post to make it more clear.)
Actually the Core Voltage and Memory Clock are the only things I was able to increase.
the voltage for the [Core Clock] +155Mhz and the [Memory Clock] +300 Mhz

This manipulation already gives me a small increase of FPS and the GPU temperature is at 79* while gaming.
I have made core clocks crank up to +205mhz and memory clock to almost 500+ and i havent had any crashes .
Gpu boost 3.0 helps gpu to boost to higher frequency if they are below the throttle temperature Hence the overclocking indeed works .

Jun 8, 2021
202+mhz gpu 870 ram...works good. Dell G7 17 7790 I7 9750H 16g Rtx 2060.... Though when i went 220+ core....1200+ ram...It ran for awile...till i tabbed out of Arma3launcher which is already buggy say the least