OVERCLOCKING i5 4690k (help)

weeman8888

Reputable
May 27, 2014
hey guys
just like what the title said i am looking to overclock my cpu i have a msi gaming 3 h97 mbo, i have never done this before so steps or links to other webpages would be very helpful. i was looking to get the corsair h75 liquid cooled cooler. im not to sure what i should overclock it to but i have been reading to not overclock it past 4,5 and keep the volts to 1.3 i think.

quick edit:i looked up my mbo and that is cant overclock very well :( should i just not do it?
anyways i need some help.
thanks

Solution
The H97 is not made for OCing and you can't change the multiplier. You could get an ever sol slight OC via the BCLK, but it's not even worth the effort. Get a decent Z97 if you want to think OCing, something like the Asus Z97-A
Don't mess with voltage when first overclocking. First start with upping the multiplier one tick at a time (39x, 40x, 41x, etc. using a 100 BCLK, or front side bus, setting) until you get a crash during a stress test. That way you will know your base line (control) for starting to play with voltage. You can try playing around with different multiplier and BCLK combinations (like 43x multiplier and 102 BCLK yields 4.4GHz just as a 44x multiplier and 100 BCLK yields 4.4GHz).

The typical overclock to 4.5GHz uses between 1.15-1.20 volts (depends on a lot of factors like your cooling and how good a chip you have). Keep in mind you will not see these results with the stock Intel cooler, and the better the cooler you have, air or water, the better your results will be.

weeman8888

Reputable
May 27, 2014

should i even try since my mbo is apparently not good for overclocking. if so is there i way i can get around this or should i get a cheaper cpu cooler?

Your motherboard should be fine enough for basic overclocking needs as I mentioned (just messing with bus speed and Vcore). For a good budget cooler, the king used to be the Cooler Master EVO 212, but that had been dethroned for the similar priced Cryorig H7 (in the $25-$35US range).

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
if you want to overclock i recomend grabing a z97 motherboard.
any other motherboard does not h,g,... does clock very well. if you still have the option to exchange it and get a better one e.g. z97 or MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150, you will be alot better of and gain higher overclocks, thats my to cent.

the gaming 3 i really dont reconemend OCing to begin with, because the cooling and the chocks / caps are of lesser quality than boards that are ment to overclock. and if you switch to water you might make it worse if you do overclock and VRM's artn cooled, which is noramly the case when you have a after market fan cooler, the VRM sytem atleast gets some air moved away and across from it.
plus i, not 100% sure but most the the bios on those boards that are not ment for overclocking have funtions that are alos therghin limited as the expecpt you to slap a non k / non oc CPU on the board and not a "K" version. but as current standanders you prolly have no valide reason to OC,unless you just have the need to OC everything like I do then i would highly recomend a diffrent board. hope it helps.

idk about the volts evey proc is difrent 1.3 sounds about right.
i would just set the vdroop for the cpu to high
and let the multiplikators on all cores go up to 45 and run some tests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4yucCk_Zrc

here is a video to ocing you board.
edit: it not exctyl yor board but none the less a good guide. and walk though a simulure bios for ocing.

update your bios as well usually helps.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The H97 is not made for OCing and you can't change the multiplier. You could get an ever sol slight OC via the BCLK, but it's not even worth the effort. Get a decent Z97 if you want to think OCing, something like the Asus Z97-A

Solution