overclocking i7 6700k

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a 6700k overclocked to 4.7ghz at 1.4v with LLC level 5.

I am trying to go 4.8ghz and I naturally don't want to exceed 1.45v in my settings. But what I want to know is what should be my LLC setting 1-7 for attempting best balance between constant voltage and over volting? I have already attempted 4.8 at 1.44 with level 5 and it over volts to about 1.456 every now and then according to hwmonitor during stress test CPU+fpu in aida64 but crashes my pc after about 20min

Solution
My opinion

Your running stable at 4.7GHz for 1hr in Aida64 and you should be happy with that.
Your Overvolting is not much and of no concern.
Trying to chase the extra 100-200MHz is not worth it and best to keep your VCore at 1.376V for longevity.

Save this profile in Bios and you can play around with others recommended settings if you have the time and patience. If things go belly up then just go to your saved profile.

Learn about adaptive voltage and offsets and set CPU current capability to 120%.
I myself love tinkering and testing various Bios parameters and trying to get the MAX from my CPU and RAM however, there comes a time when no matter what you do you hit a WALL. You can't go over it nor under or around and that is the...
Hi xSimply1337x :)

I would need to know the MB your using to determine what options you have in Bios. Please list the MB and at the same time, best if you list your full system specs.
I have found LLC (Load Line Calibration) settings best mid range when Overclocking and it can also vary depending on the PSU and also if certain Voltages or offsets set to Auto.
LLC settings are normally increased if it is determined that instability is cause by voltage droop. Also used in conjunction with Current capability to stabilise.

Best is to also take screenies of HWMonitor and AIDA64 at the 10-20 min mark during stress test and post the results for analysis.
You can use IMIGUR to do this. Just upload the images and obtain the BBurl to link to your post.

Well if it's crashing in AIDA64 after just 4mins then obviously you're not stable.
Best is to clear CMOS back to default and stress test at stock settings.
You need to be stable at stock frequency to establish a baseline for your OC.
If your not stable at stock then no chance with an OC and that needs to be sorted first.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

I stated in my OP that I am stable at 4.7 w/ 1.4v

Well, Sorry but no you did not state that you were stable in the Original Post.

Quote: "I have a 6700k overclocked to 4.7ghz at 1.4v with LLC level 5". End quote.

Also looking at your HWMonitor pic, your VCore is at 1.472V MAX which is too high and hence your core temps are excessive and packet temps too. At 90C the CPU would be throttling however I need to see AIDA64 during test at 10min mark which is hidden in your pic. Have the two side by side on your desktop.
That is the cause of your crash and I bet your VRM temps are what crashed the system.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

sorry. when I said that it is overclocked to and at I was implying that it is stable. I was just seeing if I could change a few things up in the BIOS to achieve 4.8 without raising the vcore too high.
I'll post images after I sleep of my current 4.7 @ 1.4v running stable in aida64.

P.S. - In regards to your statement about thermal throttling I don't think it is because aida64 never said it was throttling. My CPU seems to only throttle when it reaches 95c and up and I haven't broken past 94c yet even when the core overvolts to 1.456 - 1.45 like it says in hwmonitor. nonetheless though I'll post full pics that are actual screenshots after I sleep.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
ok. So a bit of preamble.
When I said it was stable at 1.4v that was true. however I had jumped strait to that from 1.35v when it wasn't stable at 1.35v. I just finished testing all the way down to 1.37v stable with LLC Level 5 (level 4 causes vdroop) 1.36v crashed after 20min.
I am using a Kraken X62 rev. 2 with fans at 100% for testing.
seeing as how 4.7 runs at 1.37v and I couldn't get a stable 4.8 after going all the way to 1.45 I will have to assume that I'm just not going to be able to get that high not only because of temps but putting any more voltage than that through the CPU over time would kill it.
Also, during testing w/ LLC Lvl 5 I don't get vdroop but do get over voltage and it goes back and forth from 1.376 to 1.392 and nowhere in between.

but what is your opinion on the matter?
Here is the screenshot

My opinion

Your running stable at 4.7GHz for 1hr in Aida64 and you should be happy with that.
Your Overvolting is not much and of no concern.
Trying to chase the extra 100-200MHz is not worth it and best to keep your VCore at 1.376V for longevity.

Save this profile in Bios and you can play around with others recommended settings if you have the time and patience. If things go belly up then just go to your saved profile.

Learn about adaptive voltage and offsets and set CPU current capability to 120%.
I myself love tinkering and testing various Bios parameters and trying to get the MAX from my CPU and RAM however, there comes a time when no matter what you do you hit a WALL. You can't go over it nor under or around and that is the Silicon Lottery.

Update: I can provide some rather technical information regarding your i7-6700k 6th Gen processor. It is written by CompuTronix an Intel Authority on the subject and well worth the read.
Go here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
--EDIT--
If you already read the original version of this post then disregard it.
It turns out that my games crashing weren't due to the CPU but rather my GPU having a +160 on the core instead of a +120 like it was supposed to have. LOL, don't know how it changed but I fixed it.

As your CPU is stable, I would recommend now concentrating on your GPU and RAM stability.

Test your RAM with Memtest86 from a USB to eliminate that possibility.

There are many GPU tests that you can do apart from AIDA64.
Try these which I use to benchmark and test my systems:

CPUz have an online validation process. Just follow the instructions

https://rog.asus.com/articles/news/r...available-now/ The best real world tester and if you can pass the benchmark, your 24/7 stable.

https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/

https://www.passmark.com.au/download/pt_download.htm

http://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/

Once you are satisfied all is OK then it's safe to assume that the Game is at fault or ingame settings are the cause.
Some games are poorly optimised and cause crashes during game play for no apparent reason and ensuring that GPU driver is up to date can help. CSGO is one that comes to mind and the Forum is full of requests for help with that game. GTA V and wildlands are not in my library so can't help there.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

I don't know if you read the original post or the edit I did but the game crashing was because my GPU overclock was higher than it was supposed to be making it try to run at around 2100mhz when it can only handle as far as 1949 (2025 according to the stationary reading in valley and heaven). I've already done my due diligence on overclocking my GPU. It's the first thing I overclocked with this new build. As for RAM stability, why should I test that? I'm not overclocking the RAM. It just runs at 2400mhz and doesn't have an XMP profile. I believe they are the value edition. It's Kingston DDR4 and it's low profile with no heat spreaders on them. I checked the CAS settings in the BIOS and they were running on a CL17 setting. I don't know the exact set of numbers and I don't feel like rebooting my PC right now while I'm using it to check but so far everything is working fine now since I put my GPU overclock back to it's proper setting.