Question Overclocking I7 8700K

Tommy Stimson

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015
Hey,

I've been researching into overclocking but have ended up more confused than when I started. My specs are below and I am looking to OC to 4.8 if that is a stable figure? I downloaded the Asus AI Suite 3 and used the 5 way optimisation but was then advised not to use it! Just after some info/help on this, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks x

I7 8700k (3.70GHz)
ASUS ROG Strix RX Vega 56 8GB OC (i hate this GPU & wish i stuck with Nvidia TBH)
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 (2x8gb)
Mobo - Asus Prime Z370 A
Corsair H100I V2 AIO Cooler
Samsung SSD 500GB
750w PSU

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The auto overclocking tools often assume to much voltage to ensure compatibility. They can be risky.

4.8Ghz is a reasonable all core overclock. You just want to monitor temperatures and voltages. Keep it below 1.3 volts for everyday use. You might be able to get away with more since you have a decent water cooler. But you'll want the temperature under load to stay below 80C, 85C if you want to push it.

Overclocking is a mix of temperature (power) and voltage control while maximizing performance.

If you want more detail, seek out a complex overclocking guide for coffee lake.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/180...m-build-overclocking-guide-jeffrey-edson.html

Reactions: Tommy Stimson

Tommy Stimson

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015
The auto overclocking tools often assume to much voltage to ensure compatibility. They can be risky.

4.8Ghz is a reasonable all core overclock. You just want to monitor temperatures and voltages. Keep it below 1.3 volts for everyday use. You might be able to get away with more since you have a decent water cooler. But you'll want the temperature under load to stay below 80C, 85C if you want to push it.

Overclocking is a mix of temperature (power) and voltage control while maximizing performance.

If you want more detail, seek out a complex overclocking guide for coffee lake.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/180...m-build-overclocking-guide-jeffrey-edson.html

Thanks very much for the info, I will definitely have a look at those guides. I have revered the changes through AI Suite by resetting the Bios, should do the trick I hope?

With i7 -8700k , you can oc to 5.1 Ghz ! . Certainly with subzero degree cooling system only . Not mention to Liquid nitrogen ! .
When oc your cpu , cost energy will double about 190 W . And you must oc your mainboard to support 4300 Mhz ram and oc your ram to that frequency . Only then , your machine will benefit high frequency of cpu ! . In some case , oc your cache frequency also ! .
Then the psu must be 1200 W ! . So prepare to buy another psu if not , problem happened when your devices consume energy ! .

I suggest you to search and find Makecool expert product . If you can find any subzero cooling system at your country , that is great . With very high frequency , no normal water cooling system can help your cpu ! .

So much misinformation in one post.

First of all you do not need subzero cooling to overclock your cpu. OP asked for 4.8, not 5.1, and even then a subzero cooling solution on a PC to be used on a daily basis for gaming is not a sound suggestion at all. More than likely his current cooling solution will get the results he is after. Or even slightly better. Therea plenty of 8700k running at 4.8-5.0 With a standard 240/360 aio.

You absolutely do not need to overclock your memory to 4300mhz to see the benefit of a cpu overclock. No matter the memory speed, you'll notice the benefits.

1200w psu for an 8700k/Vega 56. No, just no. That 750w, as long as it's high quality, is more than sufficient for what is being asked of the system.

To say no watercooling solution can cool your cpu is a gross overstatement and just plain false. Stop plugging products and handing out bad info. This forum is about helping fellow enthusiasts.

OP, there are several good Oc guides on here, as well as the ones linked above. Here's an excellent one, the poster of this also has a very good memory setup guide as well.

Can the 8700k run at 7100mhz, yes it can. On ln2, which is subzero cooling. And used for world record benchmarks not daily use. How long did that cpu run at 7100mhz, two minutes? Three? These are not day to day numbers, and no one runs ln2 on a daily use pc. No one runs subzero of any kind on a daily use cpu, it just doesn't make sense. Condensation buildup, the cost of ln2, the setup and maintenance. Ridiculous. We are talking about daily use here, not setting records.

Will you see a benefit to overclocking ram, again, of course you will. Is it going to make gaming/workflow extraordinarily better, no it's not. You'll likely not notice a difference while doing day to day tasks. Are you going to overclock ram 1100mhz higher than rated, stabily and have a PC run for hours at a time? No you're absolutely not.

Do you need a 1200w psu to run an 8700k @4.8-5ghz? Again, no. No you do not.

OP didn't ask how to break records and have a useless pc. They asked for a very reasonable overclock, on known decent cooling solutions.

Reality is, real world situations need real world solutions. Not ln2 subzero, crazy world record solutions. I'm sure if that were the case, OP wouldn't have chosen many of the components he did.